Position Control - Versus Draft Control

/ Position Control - Versus Draft Control #1  

RamTruckMan

Bronze Member
Does Position Control mean that a tractor doesn't have any draft control? Does it mean the lever just lowers and raises the implement?

/ Position Control - Versus Draft Control #2  
Position control means that you can lift the 3pt hitch to where you want it all through the spectum of it's travel and it will stay where you set it. It does not aim the implement for drafting at all. The position control usually has a set of numbers so you can index each implement and "supposedly" get that same setting each time by returning the position control to the number you have chosen. John

/ Position Control - Versus Draft Control
Thanks for the prompt response, isn't that a step back in technology. If I were plowing wouldn't the plow have a tendency to cut too deep or ride or top of the ground depending on roughness of the terrain?

/ Position Control - Versus Draft Control #4  
You know, I can't really respond to that as I have yet to do any plowing with my CK20HST with position control, no draft control, but I think you're probably right. The hitch arms can come up and float so I guess without draft, the implement may not continue to dig at the depth you wish. I'm just now learning about using the plows/disks/etc for this tractor. I've used draft control in the past. John

/ Position Control - Versus Draft Control #5  
RamTruckMan, I just went searching for better information, and I think you'll be surprised to read the "draft" position part as it seems to work a little differently than we both thought. Check out this link, it's a good article covering several hitch types. http://www.tractorsmart.com/enter.htm John

/ Position Control - Versus Draft Control #6  
RamTruckMan, I just went searching for better information, and I think you'll be surprised to read the "draft" position part as it seems to work a little differently than we both thought. Check out this link, it's a good article covering several hitch types. John 3pt hitch types

/ Position Control - Versus Draft Control
Thanks for the link. That site is very informative. I used to have that link, but it must have gotten lost in upgrading. I looked all over for it before I posted a message.

Thanks again.

/ Position Control - Versus Draft Control #8  
You're welcome, and go to "my home" and check for the private message I sent you. John

/ Position Control - Versus Draft Control #9  
No feed-back control would be like the typical front-loader circuit. You open the valve to make it move, and close the valve to hold it in place. Repeatability is up to the operator to judge the position. Things like leak-down tend to make the positon slowly change with time.

Position control has an active valve that maintains the draft arms in a set position according to a control, often marked with arbitrary, but at least somewhat repeatible settings. It will automatically adjust the rockshaft to the set position and hold it there (gravity doing the holding in the down direction).

Position control is useful for things like grading with a blade or landscape rake where you want to have the blade at a set height in relation to the tractor wheels and you are trying to create a level or smooth surface.

Draft control has the feedback valve connected to the top link. It senses how hard the plow is pushing forward on the top link. The deeper the plow is digging, the more it trys to pivot the hitch forward, pushing forward on the top link. The control valve would then raise the plow a bit maintianing a constant force on the top link. If the force is too low, the control valve lowers the plow a bit, causing it to dig deeper and increase the force on the top link to the desired set-point.

Maintaining a constant plowing drag should correspond roughly with a constant plowing depth regardless of the lumpiness of the ground. So when your front wheels go in a little dip or over a lump, or the plow runs over a dip or a low spot, the lift arms get adjusted to maintain the same plowing drag force and thus the same plowing depth.

One is not "better" than the other, but If you are serious about plowing, you will want Draft control. Most CUT's are not used for serious plowingg and for most of their comon uses, Position Control is what you probably want.

- Rick

/ Position Control - Versus Draft Control #10  
Draft control is a option of position control and you can't have draft without the position. The Draft control when used is how you would set your depth not with the position control. There has been much abuse of the system but it works great when it is used on a quality piece of equipment. One of the reasons I point this out as some manufacturers reponse load is at 20 percent vs less then five percent to signal a load change. Another point is the amount of signals the system can send. Some can work three times a second on the sensitive side and on the other end it might take three seconds.