Mowing Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab

/ Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab #11  
Or go with the larger frame Agrofarm 420 in an open station (no cab) at 99HP and it weighs 7716 without weights. It has a rear three-point lift capacity of 9480 lbs.

Wait, the 3ph capacity is almost 25% more than the weight of the tractor itself? Talk about the tail wagging the dog.

Last edited:
   / Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab #12  
Wait, the 3ph capacity is almost 25% more than the weight of the tractor itself? Talk about the tail wagging the dog.

Yep, if you use all of that capacity, it has to have a front weight set. Which of course makes it heavier which we are trying to avoid in this scenario.

/ Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab #13  
Thx for the quick responses. Im still pretty new to the tractor scene so I dont have a lot of knowledge on the different models. Im trying to come in at 11k total lbs to avoid having to deal with D.O.T. regulations but it looks like a 90 HP tractor is going to weigh too much. Guess ill have to go down to a 15 foot bush hog. They require 60 HP min. Can anyone recommend a tractor with 60+ HP that also has a steel cab? I cant afford a new one so a model around 20+ years old is probably going to be in my price range. THX

Take a look at this http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3093127&postcount=16 for DOT regulation you need to consider the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVR) which is the combination of the Truck AND the trailer. Not the size of the load. The load is another issue.

/ Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab #14  
RedNeck, we are seeing the same in California. CHP/DOT are pretty determined to catch up with all the heavy pickup haulers and Hot Shots. Every state is different, but in CA most newer 1-tons are technically required to go through the scales and run numbers. There are exceptions for RV's and horse trailers to some extent. A guy needs to meet with the DOT folks in his state and figure it all out. Sometimes length will put you under regulations, not just weight. And sometimes it is just best to get the CDL, get the numbers and run the larger trailer/tractor/mower.

Dave, that's exactly what is happening here and I have seen a 3/4 ton with a landscaping trailer with mowers and string trimmers on it talking to the dot on the side of the road where they had a triaxle pulled over doing a roadside check. These pickups are getting some great towing numbers but uncle sam is keeping a close watching and dropping the hammer if you aren't following the rules.

/ Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab #15  
Dave, that's exactly what is happening here and I have seen a 3/4 ton with a landscaping trailer with mowers and string trimmers on it talking to the dot on the side of the road where they had a triaxle pulled over doing a roadside check. These pickups are getting some great towing numbers but uncle sam is keeping a close watching and dropping the hammer if you aren't following the rules.

I can understand why the DOT is on this. A lot of guys are hauling a lot of weight with these newer pickups. Our 2015 Dodge 3500 is rated to tow 30k, GCWR I think is 37,500 or so. I tow a tandem dually with 12k axles, electric over hydraulic disc brakes, etc. If I have the load balanced properly over all axles, I can actually scale 39,750 lbs and be legal in California. Those sort of numbers were unheard of a few years ago in a pickup. I tend to not push things, and seldom will gross over 32-34k and when that heavy, even with the exhaust brake and big trailer brakes, I crawl down the hills and respect gravity! For years we hauled a little lighter trailer with a little lighter truck and managed to be just under most of the regulatory numbers in California, but in the long run it was worth it to just go ahead and make the next step. We have a small Freightliner M2 now as well, air brakes, air suspension, air cab...it's a pretty sweet ride. As you probably know, once you step over the line and just deal with DOT in some ways it makes life easier.

But it does rankle if you have just one truck and it is barely over! A guy needs to really think about that. In the case of the OP, I think I'd scale the tractor and mower back enough to be legal. In CA, if your trailer is rated 10k or more, you have to have a CDL, and if the pickup pulling it is rated at 11,500 or more, you have to go through the scales, CA number, etc. Each state is different, even though there are many aspects of the regs that are federal.

/ Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab #16  
Dave,

Your absolutely right about these newer trucks. Being ableft to run at overy 15 tons wit a pickup is huge. I tow with my international 4700 with air suspension and never worry to much about what is behind me. The truck really doesn't care except going up hill! I bit the bullet a few years ago and got my cdl even though I'm only hauling for personal use. It's not worth playing the numbers game with the officer on the side of the road to justify getting out of a ticket.

/ Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab #17  
Any new info Larold?

/ Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab #18  
if you put 15 foot bushog on 60 hp tractor better make sure it has creeper gears cause you ain't gonna go fast

/ Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab #19  
JD 2555 weighs 7700 # and has 65 PTO HP. Price for a low hour one between $12K and $15K.

/ Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab #20  
I have an open station Kubota M9540 (95 hp). Without FEL, fluid in rears, it'll weigh around 7800lbs.

My Brother had a 20ft Bush Hog cutter.

I hitched it to my Kubota ONCE. I had removed the FEL and added 1200lbs of suitcase weights on the front. I was cutting CRP ground with pretty decent ground cover and app. 3ft tall. I could handle the PTO load with patience in the really thick spots. Biggest problem was keeping the front tires on the ground. A 20ft cutter is VERY heavy on the tongue.

I don't think you'll be happy pulling a 20ft cutter with a tractor that weighs less than 10K lbs. And then you'll probably need some front weights.