Keeping them shiny

/ Keeping them shiny #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
What have you guys found effective for restoring the shine and luster to the plastic parts of modern cuts?
My 110 has some black plastic that has faded out and I'd like to get it looking good. The tractor is stored out of the UV since I've owned it but was exposed to UV by the previous owner. I've tried armour all but looking for a more permemant solution.

Matt

/ Keeping them shiny #2  
I bought a 20 yr old fiberglass bass boat that was in sad shape. After searching I came across form RV forums that suggested using Zep Wet Look floor polish to restore shine. I gave it a try and it worked very well. Now that is for fiberglass, I don't know how it would do on plastic. Worth a try though.
Shop Zep Commercial Wet-Look 128-oz Floor Polish at Lowes.com

As a last ditch effort you could repaint the black plastic with Krylon Fusion.
Fusion for Plastic® - | Krylon

/ Keeping them shiny #3  
I bought a 20 yr old fiberglass bass boat that was in sad shape. After searching I came across form RV forums that suggested using Zep Wet Look floor polish to restore shine. I gave it a try and it worked very well. Now that is for fiberglass, I don't know how it would do on plastic. Worth a try though.

Hmmm, I have been looking for something to rejuvenate our travel trailer, may have to give that a shot. Poor finish is dull and chalky.

To the OP, I believe it's mothers that make a product called back to black. You use it while washing and it brings the plastic back, works pretty well and is pretty easy to find. Check out wallmart or the auto stores with the car washing and detailing products. Cheap enough to give a shot at least.

/ Keeping them shiny #4  
As posted- Mothers Back to Black works pretty well .
I just went over some black trim with Wipe New and it seems to last a lot longer.

/ Keeping them shiny #5  

Also, how do you apply the Zep for a fiberglass application?

/ Keeping them shiny #6  
I found out, by accident, that Fluid Film really brings back the deep luster in paint and plastic. I wipe on a thin layer, let it soak in a bit, and then wipe it off with a dry rag. I first noticed how nice it made my truck look where I over-sprayed some FF while undercoating it a couple years ago. I wiped it dry and the 'spots' remained for months (or until I washed it which rarely happens). the spots looked better than the paint around them. I applied some to an old JD mower plastic body which was looking dull, and it looked much better. It seems to nourish the paint and plastic.

/ Keeping them shiny #7  
Also, how do you apply the Zep for a fiberglass application?

First wash your travel trailer with Bar Keepers Friend (similar to Comet but without bleach). Scrub hard to make sure it is completely clean. Then just dampen a microfiber cloth with Zep and apply a thin coat. By the time you work your way around, the area you started will be dry if you applied a thin enough coat. It will take 3 or 4 coats before you start to see an improvement. I applied 5 or 6 to my boat. It goes quickly since you are wiping on a thin coat. No rubbing, no buffing, just a light wipe.

I don't have any before pics. Here is the after. It doesn't look showroom new but looks tons better than it did. Originally it was very chalky.

/ Keeping them shiny #8  
Thanks for the tip on Mothers Back to Black. Will try that on our Jeep fenders.

Next up for the boat will be new carpet. :)

/ Keeping them shiny #9  
Back to Black is good for restoring already faded parts. Aerospace 303 protectant is great for keeping them from fading in the first place!

/ Keeping them shiny #10  

Krylon Fusion is a great product. I used it on the grill of our minivan several years ago. It has held up very well. If the black pieces are somewhat easy to remove or easily taped off so they can be sprayed I would recommend it as a first resort.