Buying a shredder or hiring it out

/ Buying a shredder or hiring it out #21  
Wow, at only $20/acre, which is extremely cheap , I'd just hire it out. Especially considering that price includes the equipment, wear and tear, operator time, and fuel...all of which are expenses that you'd have to pay for yourself.

/ Buying a shredder or hiring it out #22  
Buy shredder and mow when you need too,write off 5 years or pay someone to do it wait until they can get to it since it's small,still a write off. I would just pay someone first couple years and see how it goes,then when you wait for them the first time,you will be looking for shredder to buy something in the 10ft range,if you grow later up size,you take care of it they keep there value. I could have just last week got you a perfect shape Land Pride 10ft pull type for $2500,from a older guy that bought new batwing,they got him since he traded but it was already done or I would have suggested him keep and sell out right.You have time look for those kinda deals. But hiring may work out,try it out first.
I also like the way you think 135hp for 22,that's get-n-r done.

/ Buying a shredder or hiring it out #23  
Do a little work on your backhoe boom to run a smaller cutter along the fences. :)

mk6.jpg

Mechanical or hydraulic drive.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Motors/Ag-PTO-Output-Hydraulic-Motors/

Bruce

/ Buying a shredder or hiring it out #24  
Since your shredding crop stubble, do you find that there is a small window to shred? Like you have to do it in October so you can plow in November? I think hiring it out becomes an issue when you need it done at a specific time. I shred my neighbors 10 acres for free but I only do it when I have the equipment on my place. So this year he got his field shredded in February and July.

There is a a nice 15 ft JD batwing for sale in Circleville (near Austin).

/ Buying a shredder or hiring it out
Since your shredding crop stubble, do you find that there is a small window to shred? Like you have to do it in October so you can plow in November? I think hiring it out becomes an issue when you need it done at a specific time. I shred my neighbors 10 acres for free but I only do it when I have the equipment on my place. So this year he got his field shredded in February and July.

There is a a nice 15 ft JD batwing for sale in Circleville (near Austin).

Yes I do have a fairly small window of when I need it done. That being said the local craigslist has at least a dozen posts a week of people offering shredding. I am sure someone could come do it in my time frame.

I just love problems like this... i.e. Do I buy a platinum watch, or just settle for a gold one? :) I think you should just settle for the platinum watch. Enjoy the dilemma.

Not sure what you mean. I am not daddy warbucks. Heck my tractor is 35 years old. I have a legitimate need to get my 18 acres mowed and am trying to weigh my options. Big shredders are no cheap. If I buy a new one it will eat up three years of my cattle operations profits.

/ Buying a shredder or hiring it out #27  
Not sure what you mean. I am not daddy warbucks. Heck my tractor is 35 years old. I have a legitimate need to get my 18 acres mowed and am trying to weigh my options. Big shredders are no cheap. If I buy a new one it will eat up three years of my cattle operations profits.

I think what he means is, you have a nice rig either way. Most of us don't already own a 7' shredder. Whether you buy a bat wing or not, you have a nice rig... In fairness, when I read your original post, I got the feeling you weren't hurting for finances. (Not suggesting you are or aren't)

I mow 12-15 acres of Bahia a week with a 5' finish mower and a 20 year old 20hp tractor... It's possible that I'm short on sympathy, in comparison. :)

Either way bud, I hope you make the best move for you. We can't necessarily make that call.

Last edited:
   / Buying a shredder or hiring it out #28  
If you're in west Texas (which it looks to be from your avatar), I'd be on the lookout for a used batwing or, even better, a used 4-row shredder. Back when I worked for Servis/Rhino in a former life, my dad bought a Rhino 1310 (13' 10" fixed deck pull-type shredder) to shred cotton and milo stalks. It worked perfectly, and was a lot cheaper (and simpler) than a batwing.

I think what he means is, you have a nice rig either way. Most of us don't already own a 7' shredder. Whether you buy a bat wing or not, you have a nice rig... In fairness, when I read your original post, I got the feeling you weren't hurting for finances. (Not suggesting you are or aren't)

I mow 12-15 acres of Bahia a week with a 5' finish mower and a 20 year old 20hp tractor... It's possible that I'm short on sympathy, in comparison. :)

Either way bud, I hope you make the best move for you. We can't necessarily make that call.

Thanks for the reply. I don't own the 7' mower anymore. If I did I would probably just make due with it. I sold it over a year ago right after I got the larger tractor when I realized it wouldn't cover my tire width. Quite honestly I failed to do my research and figured it wouldn't be that much of a price jump going from a 7' to a 10 or 12' unit but I was wrong. I thought I could sell my 7' unit and put a few hundred with it and get something larger. Boy was I wrong. I found out that to go from 7' to 10' is nearly double the cost.

I am not hurting for money but I work hard for what I have and don't like to waste money. I won't go into specifics but the cost of this mower is something that I can afford, but I think it is very expensive. I don't go around buying things that cost that much all the time. I think the reason I have gotten by for over a year without one is the cost.

/ Buying a shredder or hiring it out #30  
Thanks for the reply. I don't own the 7' mower anymore. If I did I would probably just make due with it. I sold it over a year ago right after I got the larger tractor when I realized it wouldn't cover my tire width. Quite honestly I failed to do my research and figured it wouldn't be that much of a price jump going from a 7' to a 10 or 12' unit but I was wrong. I thought I could sell my 7' unit and put a few hundred with it and get something larger. Boy was I wrong. I found out that to go from 7' to 10' is nearly double the cost.

I am not hurting for money but I work hard for what I have and don't like to waste money. I won't go into specifics but the cost of this mower is something that I can afford, but I think it is very expensive. I don't go around buying things that cost that much all the time. I think the reason I have gotten by for over a year without one is the cost.

That is why I suggested getting another 7' for the M59, you can buy the topntilt hitch and the 7' cutter and save some cash. What you really need to do is get past removing and installing the hoe, it is a very quick process.