Buying a shredder or hiring it out

/ Buying a shredder or hiring it out #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
I used to have a 95hp tractor and a 7' shredder I bought brand new. At that time I only owned 7 acres. I have since bought 15 more adjacent acres and traded the tractor for a larger one that has duals. It is 10' wide. Even without the duals on the axles stick out to about 9' wide so I sold the 7' shredder with thoughts of buying a larger one since I couldn't get close to fences with the 7' shredder. This was over a year and a half ago and I have yet to buy a shredder primarily because of the cost. Not that I can't afford it but 8-12k for a shredder I might use a couple times a year is hard to swallow.

Of my 22 acres about 18 of it is plowed and planted each year with a crop that I graze cows on. I need a shredder to mow stalks or weeds before plowing for the next year. My other 4 acres are either mowed by my 60' zero turn or are gravel Parking areas, shops, house, etc.

I have a need to shred 18 acres maybe 2-3 times a year. I could probably hire it done for $350 or so which means I could have it mowed by someone else 20-30 times for what a shredder size matched to my tractor would cost - essentially the next ten years. Should I buy the shredder or hire it out?

Part of me says buy it because the shredder should hold its value with such light use so in ten years it will likely be worth close to what I paid for it. The other part of me says it is silly to spend that much on something I will only use maybe ten hours a year.

/ Buying a shredder or hiring it out #2  
The cost for a shredder, or for paying to have it done will likely be higher at the end of ten years than today. How would buying affect your taxes/depreciation, and do you want to have a shredder? That would be real light use, so I think a good name should hold its value. Are you good with having to wait a while to mow it sometimes, or is it sensitive to time? Would you ever work it for others, or would it only pay you back your investment?

/ Buying a shredder or hiring it out #3  
Wow. A 95hp tractor for 22 acres. I like your style.:)

/ Buying a shredder or hiring it out #4  
Man, I think I need a bigger tractor..... well, a shredder is one of those things that can always be used. Have you looked at used models at all? Can you depreciate the new one? Do you only have one tractor? I don't think I could make a Real compelling argument for a 10 foot cutter or larger for 5 acres but do you ever need to clip your pastures?

Man that was a rambling post, I need more coffee....

/ Buying a shredder or hiring it out #5  
Id get some quotes and find out for sure how much you can hire it done for. $350 for 18 acres sounds dirt cheap.

IF this is perhaps a neighborly discount, or knowing someone in the area to help out, gotta consider if they are no longer able to do it.

IF you can actually get it done for $350, Id start hiring it done when needed, and maybe keep an eye out for a nice used cutter

/ Buying a shredder or hiring it out #6  
Why not buy another 7' shredder to use with the M59? That would cost much less to buy and would seem a good fit for 18 acres.

/ Buying a shredder or hiring it out #7  
It really just depends on how often you want to have it cut? And if you have the time?

/ Buying a shredder or hiring it out #8  
Do you have covered storage for it? That would help retain value.
Is it a pleasant task to run the mower?
What's YOUR time worth if you are not mowing? And how long does it take, INCLUDING maintenance?
If you hire it out what is the reliability? Will someone appear immediately or will it be one of those jobs the guys don't always show up?
If you've got YOUR shredder you can do it when you want to or have to.
On the other hand it's YOU doing it.

As much as I like seat time and more attachments for $350 a pop and 18 acres I'd seriously think of hiring it out.

/ Buying a shredder or hiring it out
   / Buying a shredder or hiring it out
Why not buy another 7' shredder to use with the M59? That would cost much less to buy and would seem a good fit for 18 acres.

I thought about that but I have never removed the backhoe from it. I use it all the time. I don't even own the three point arms for the M59.