Unsafe replacement rims

/ Unsafe replacement rims #1  

MrBwill

Tractor
2003 BX23 Kubota
I purchased four new replacement tires and rims from the kubota dealer in Butler Pa for my BX23. My tractor has 2160 hours of amazing work on it, but she is well cared for as we know how important she is to us. When I finally mounted the front Kubota replacement tires and new rims on the front, one tire immediate leaked. The Service manager at Power-up Kubota said it was beyond the ninety days so he would not replace the bad one and could not locate any inner tubes for ten inch tires. That was solved by going to Greenhill farm and they installed a tube. More recently, a month ago, while mowing on level ground, the front right rim disentagraed and the tire and outer rim tore off the tractor bringing me to a abrupt halt. Two weeks later while traversing the slope of our ponds dam, the left tire and rim ripped itself off my tractor and putting the tractor into a roll-over configuration. The front bucket saved me but it took a few moments to free myself from the precarious and dangerous position on the hill side. In each case the bolts and shredded steel remained in the hub, tearing apart the inner most rim.
The Service Manager at Power-up Kubota spoke to a rep who claimed to have no knowledge of this problem even though tractor forums around the country are filled with frustrated owners like myself who have had the exact wxerience.. The Service Manager said he never believed anything from the Internet but offered one new free tire and rim as a form of reimbursement for the two that were destroyed. When I took one of the rims in to show him his immediate response was;" well do you want to buy another one," it was the same response from the owner who stopped me on my way out and asked to hear about the problem. No concern about my safety, or how best to remedy this safety issue, but can we sell you another one since we are only offering you a two to one. When I explained how close the rims he sold me had come to killing me he became intimidating to the point of threatening to force me out of his showroom. When in fact I was just trying to leave when he stopped me while attempting to exit the building. It was unsettling to say the least, but clearly he did not want any mention of defective rims spoke of in his building.
The rims Kubota is selling in these great package tire/rim deal are defective. Instead of a solid steel rim they are two thinner layers of clearly cheap junk and tear apart. Other manufacturers are no longer usiing them. Some unfortunate owners find themselves with no other choice but to weld a disc that has been drilled for the lugs and weld it into the center. Not only does this poise another safety issue but shows how desperate those of us who have purchased Kubota replacement rims are to get help from the dealer level. Do your homework, in the meantime I will submit photos to the forum of my rims. Thank you.

/ Unsafe replacement rims #2  
Are you sure they are KUBOTA rims and not offshore items that the dealer foisted on you at Kubota prices.

/ Unsafe replacement rims
These are Kubota replacement rims that are sold by Kubota dealers. My hunch is they are made way way off-shore somewhere and painted orange. Just a hunch.

/ Unsafe replacement rims #4  
Are you sure they are KUBOTA rims and not offshore items that the dealer foisted on you at Kubota prices.

I doubt Kubota makes their own rims.

/ Unsafe replacement rims #7  
Sorry to hear of your problem. It looks like you replaced both tires and rims a year or so ago, going from the original 8" rims to the newer 10" ones. Is that correct? So these new rims have failed in that short amount of time?

Haven't heard much about bad rims here on TBN, but I'm getting old and don't notice as much as I used to. By the way, I have the same BX series tractor with the 8" rims. I would really wonder if the 10 inch tire setup has the same rolling circumference as those old 8" ones. The newer 10 inchers look larger to me, which would create a gearing mismatch to the rears when in 4wd. Dunno if that might have something to do with what happened to your rims but I'd be really suspicious of any dealer trying to get me to swap out the rims for a different size without knowing for sure the tire diameters were close.

I think you got some bad information on those 10" tires. Do you still have the original 8" rims? If so, it looks like Messick's (Elizabethtown PA), has replacement tires in stock and available for online ordering.

/ Unsafe replacement rims #8  
Sounds like that dealer needs a referral to the Better Business Bureau.

/ Unsafe replacement rims #9  
The Service Manager at Power-up Kubota spoke to a rep who claimed to have no knowledge of this problem even though tractor forums around the country are filled with frustrated owners like myself who have had the exact wxerience..

Glad you alerted us to this issue. Could you furnish links to these forums and threads filled with frustrated owners like yourself? I purchased new Kubota rims for my tractor this past year but haven't used it much yet.

/ Unsafe replacement rims #10  
DOT is who I would call,, Tractors are road worthy vehicles, if the wheel broke when someone was on the road and you loose control, you could be killed,,,