What makes a good tractor good?

/ What makes a good tractor good? #1  

mundamanu

Silver Member
Tractor
TC40A, Ford 8600, MF65
OK folks, I'd like you all to have some fun with this one so that I can get as much free knowledge as possible from the living tractor encyclopedia that is TBN. No fighting! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

What is it that makes a good tractor good? Or, conversely, what is it that makes a bad tractor bad?

It seems that a qualitative evaluation of a tractor is covered by three major areas: Design, Engineering and Construction.

What makes a well-designed tractor? What makes a well-engineered tractor? What makes a well-constructed tractor? What's the best combination of these three things? What other things make a good tractor good?

All tractors share similar characteristics, a frame, axles, wheels, engines, operator's platform and controls, ways to accomodate implements, etc. Let's focus on those, rather than well, for plowing, a gear tractor beats an HST anyday and for FEL work it's the other way around.

And, if you're really into it, why don't you identify what you think is the best tractor, from the Garrett 4CD (thank you Google) on up, and why.

Thank you in advance for indulging me.

/ What makes a good tractor good? #3  
In no particular order:

It runs every time you start it.

The controls fall where your hands think they oughta be.

The controls are responsive, giving you the feel to finnese a job.

It has enough power to do all the jobs that you actually want to do with it.

/ What makes a good tractor good? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What is it that makes a good tractor good? )</font>

Me sitting on it! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Or, conversely, what is it that makes a bad tractor bad?
)</font>

You sitting on it instead of me! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ What makes a good tractor good? #5  
It gets into the spot you need it.

It gets outta the spot when you are done.

You can see to do your work comfortably.

You are reasonably safe while using it.

You feel confident on uneven terrain.

You feel comfortable with the support from your dealer.

It is nice to look at, hear. smell, and well forget taste.

/ What makes a good tractor good? #6  
GOOD: You feel comfortable working with it, it fits you well. It's easy to get parts for /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BAD: It's a pain in the neck comfort wise. Parts are non-existent or come on the slow-boat-from-China. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ What makes a good tractor good? #7  
Golfgar4! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ What makes a good tractor good? #8  
A bad dealer can make a good tractor BAD.

/ What makes a good tractor good? #9  
For a new member, you ask an interesting question, and in my opinion a good tractor is as follows:

It's reliable and easy to service when it does need maintenance.

It's comfortable and can be operated safely in a multitude of weather and ground conditions.

It's capable of handling whatever tasks I request of it and gives me the confidence to try learning new ones.

It gives me pride of ownership before I take delivery and I am still proud of it long after the payment book is empty.

Bad tractors, sorry, can't advise you, never owned one. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ What makes a good tractor good? #10  
You forgot price /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif