Screwed up loader arms with grapple

/ Screwed up loader arms with grapple #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
Well, I had already slightly twisted torque tube on the M7040....actually before I had the grapple.

This time, the grapple came loose on the left side, and as I was pushing, pulling on a relative small tree. As I twisted it up, ...... you see the results.

Torque tube is history. But do I have any other issues? The loader arms just by eyeballing look ok. My repair, but I want advice, is to cut off the torque tube, leaving a stub near the attachment plate, and weld in a larger tube. Opinions?

/ Screwed up loader arms with grapple #2  
That is what I would do. You might have bent your cylinder rods.

/ Screwed up loader arms with grapple #3  
Well, I had already slightly twisted torque tube on the M7040....actually before I had the grapple.

This time, the grapple came loose on the left side, and as I was pushing, pulling on a relative small tree. As I twisted it up, ...... you see the results.

Torque tube is history. But do I have any other issues? The loader arms just by eyeballing look ok. My repair, but I want advice, is to cut off the torque tube, leaving a stub near the attachment plate, and weld in a larger tube. Opinions?
boy i can see it really twisted the torque tube. actually this has happened in my own case (8540) when one of the bucket attachment levers came undone under use but to a much lesser extent. i was able to correct this by using the hydraulics to "untwist" the problem but will not go into it. agree w/above poster that removing existing tube & replacing w/larger one will solve the problem. my suggestion before doing is to get with your dealer to get their take on correcting the problem...posting here is wise too! sorry i can't offer more. do let us know the fix though, & i'm surprised i don't see this problem come up more often in the forum. it's happened twice to me....securing down those 2 Q/R levers (bungee?) would be a good idea once the implement is attached to prevent an incident like that again.
& btw it may be possible to correct your problem using the hydraulics, although the alignment of the arms is extreme. be interesting to see what others say....... best of luck

Last edited:
   / Screwed up loader arms with grapple #4  
I always hammer down my pins on the QA,using a long rod and two pound hammer.

/ Screwed up loader arms with grapple #5  
I'd just cut the torque tube and re-weld it if you can. DO NOT REPLACE with a larger or stronger tube. That needs to be the weak link (a fuse of sorts) otherwise you're liable to wreck something far more important. They make them small/twisty for a reason.

/ Screwed up loader arms with grapple #6  
Once one side hits the stop, will the other side, under hydraulic pressure, un-twist the tube until it hits the stop? If it needs to go further, put a spacer on the stop so the second side goes further than the first.

/ Screwed up loader arms with grapple #7  
I'd just cut the torque tube and re-weld it if you can. DO NOT REPLACE with a larger or stronger tube. That needs to be the weak link (a fuse of sorts) otherwise you're liable to wreck something far more important. They make them small/twisty for a reason.

That was my thought. Make that tube stronger, and the next time, something more expensive will be the weak link.

/ Screwed up loader arms with grapple #8  

think this is a good idea. does K mention this in manual? they should.

I'd just cut the torque tube and re-weld it if you can. DO NOT REPLACE with a larger or stronger tube. That needs to be the weak link (a fuse of sorts) otherwise you're liable to wreck something far more important. They make them small/twisty for a reason. s219

well good point...but the torque tube shouldn't have to be the "weak link" every time something like this goes wrong. the fix is somewhat involved... somewhere in this process kubota needs to address the issue for the private consumer market (like you & me) since we are the bulk of their business.

/ Screwed up loader arms with grapple #9  
well good point...but the torque tube shouldn't have to be the "weak link" every time something like this goes wrong. the fix is somewhat involved... somewhere in this process kubota needs to address the issue for the private consumer market (like you & me) since we are the bulk of their business.

Some brands use a two-piece rod joined with a shear pin, which might be better I suppose. But I have seen plenty of posts about those loaders getting screwed up too. Or somebody doesn't know its supposed to be a shear pin and puts a grade 8 bolt in there or something crazy, and bends the rod anyhow. In fact, now that I think about it, it seems to almost always be related to using a grapple and pushing/pulling in a way that front loader arms aren't made for, or doing something with a grapple that pops a QA lever loose. Not sure what a manufacturer could do to avoid that -- it's pretty much on the owner to use the equipment sensibly and make sure the QA pins/levers are locked into place.

/ Screwed up loader arms with grapple #10  
What good does that do? The levers on mine have a stop on them which is easily hit with just hand pressure.