weight box vs liquid ballast- your thoughts for my needs

/ weight box vs liquid ballast- your thoughts for my needs #1  

twoodard04

Tractor
in market
So I keep going back and forth on size for my tractor purchase. I'm back on the larger unit kick now. My question is about forgoing the loaded tires and using a heavy weight box or box blade for loader work. The most demanding would be lifting wood pellets most likely patial pallets. Then taking loader off for mowing the yard with a rfm. This would keep alot of weight off the grass most of the time. I don't have hills to worry about per say. The only downfall I see is using a ground engaging implement I would be giving up the weight in the tires. Your thoughts? I do t want to rut up the yard with to heavy a rig

/ weight box vs liquid ballast- your thoughts for my needs #2  
That would work as long as you follow mfg recommendations. I use both myself.

/ weight box vs liquid ballast- your thoughts for my needs #3  
What size tires on the tractor you are considering purchasing? I.e. how much weight will the fluid add?

I prefer fluid in tires because it is always there Vs having weight hanging off the back which also makes manuvering in tight places even more challenging.

On my little tractor to fully use the loader I have to have both since the tires are so small they don't add enough weight.

/ weight box vs liquid ballast- your thoughts for my needs #4  
I prefer fluid in tires because it is always there Vs having weight hanging off the back which also makes manuvering in tight places even more challenging.
X 10 if it snows in Clyde, NY

/ weight box vs liquid ballast- your thoughts for my needs #5  
Pros and cons to either method.

For me, I wanted a ballast box so I could: 1. take it off when I don't want the extra weight and 2. take some weight off of my front axle during heavy loader work.

/ weight box vs liquid ballast- your thoughts for my needs #6  
So I keep going back and forth on size for my tractor purchase. I'm back on the larger unit kick now. My question is about forgoing the loaded tires and using a heavy weight box or box blade for loader work. The most demanding would be lifting wood pellets most likely patial pallets. Then taking loader off for mowing the yard with a rfm. This would keep alot of weight off the grass most of the time. I don't have hills to worry about per say. The only downfall I see is using a ground engaging implement I would be giving up the weight in the tires. Your thoughts? I do t want to rut up the yard with to heavy a rig

I would use both. When doing loader work most manuals want you to use fluid and also a weight box. For a load of pellets, both may be needed, depending on the size of the load. Many times people use a finish mower for weight when using the loader if there is room enough to work.

For ground engaging tasks fluid will more than likely needed because you need the hitch for the attachments. When mowing the lawn with the Rear Finish Mower, fluid shouldn't hurt unless it is really wet, but then you probably wouldn't mow anyway at that point.

I have both but most of the time the RFM stays on unless I am in the woods or pulling a box blade. I leave the FEL on when mowing but take the bucket or forks off. Never had a problem.

/ weight box vs liquid ballast- your thoughts for my needs #7  
Within reason you can never have too much weight. Every tractor I have ever used runs out of traction before power. I understand the rutting concern. How big is your yard? I would get a zero turn mower for the yard and keep the tractor off of it. Anything but a tiny tractor is going to compact your lawn over time.

My current tractor has 1,800 pounds of fluid in the rear tires and 1000lbs of cast weights on the wheels and just today I was pulling a 9' wide chisel plow and spinning the tires. On my last compact tractor it was mfwd and had fluid and cast weights on the rear wheels and in 4wd pulling a plow I would spin the tires before I ran out of power. Weight is your friend.