Fall/winter project

/ Fall/winter project
I would say the majority of it will be sprayed, but I will likely do some brushing for touch up and so forth.

/ Fall/winter project #12  
Good idea! I hope you have your answers, or someone who is a real body man may ring in. I have two brother in laws (one deceased) that are real body men, so I had a lot of advice....but no help, they lived too far away!!!

Here is a picture of his Case I found just before his final sanding. You may find it enlightening.

George

IMG_1324.jpg

/ Fall/winter project
Ok another question on prep. If some current areas have decent paint and others are showing primer, what do I need to do with these spots? Will a light sanding and prime be enough since they aren't rusted?

/ Fall/winter project #14  
Yup. In the areas that the paint is still good, just faded or weak, you sand and prime. When you have it all covered with primer, hit it with 600 grit and paint it!

I meant to warn you against using something like Bondo on a working tractor. If you have no choice, you have no choice, but on a working piece of equipment it tends not to do very well with all the bouncing and jarring a tractor takes. Primer, or primer/filler will take care of rusty spots.

There is a much better alternative to Bondo, but I don't think they encourage it anymore. I'm sure you can find some YouTube videos on leading in holes though. That is a way more permanent method and doesn't rust, bust, or collect dust! Be very careful on breathing in the lead though. I'm hoping you don't have any holes like that.

George

/ Fall/winter project #15  
OK, it's been a fairly warm winter.

T'sup wit this?? We want pictures too, dagnab it!

George

/ Fall/winter project
I didn't get around to bringing the 4230 home. It spent a month at the dealer having some seals replaced and now it's spring and I need it to plow. I'll probably do the paint this summer under a carport. I am hesitant on spraying inside a garage without supplied air. I did paint and modify my pulverizer the other day, used tsc with hardner. Looks ok for now.

/ Fall/winter project
uploadfromtaptalk1457440369909.jpg

/ Fall/winter project
I find myself struggling on what to do with the 4230.. I won't be able to disassemble the entire tractor and sandblast each part and I'd rather not sandblast while it's assembled. But I can definitely wire brush and clean it. The struggle is if it's worth spending some money on high quality auto paint or just going with John Deere paint or even magic or valspar.

/ Fall/winter project #19  
I haven't sprayed a whole tractor, but I did sandblast, prime and finish a 72" loader bucket. I gotta say, I used two part epoxy metal primer, and that stuff is great! I finished with Kubota paint, and it was also good- fine coverage, dried well, etc. I did this outside, using just an organic vapor respirator and Tyvek suit. The thinners are very explosive when sprayed, so I wouldn't even spray in an enclosed area where an air compressor was operating. All the finishes I have seen have pretty explicit temperature and humidity parameters. If outside, don't forget about drift!

P1010496.JPGP1010498.JPG

/ Fall/winter project #20  
Don't forget about drift indeed!! Unless you wanted two tone vehicles!

You both did good. Shame you couldn't get the tractor painted, we would like to see it running around all bright and shiny. You got the hang of it on your pulverizer though. We will look forward to your next one though.

It's hard to take a piece of working equipment out of service long enough to make it a show piece, and may not be worthwhile, the first scratch just leaves you sitting in middle of a field with tears in your eyes!

Good luck, I was just curious what happened.

George