Traction Adding weight to a Massey GC1715 scut

/ Adding weight to a Massey GC1715 scut #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings,

Well Wisconsin wnter is just 3.5 months away for my new tractor's 1st year as a "snow and cold" warrior.

My Massey GC1715 is rear footed with turf tires that are filled. And on front the Fel will be used often on the long sloped concrete driveway and numerous sidewalks.

A separate snowblower mounted on a lawn tractor will also be involved.

I believe additional rear weight beyond my own weight + loaded rears is a reasonable consideration. So the question is . . How much rear weight to add ?

"Reasonable" dictates that more is not always better just as too little is not always effective or beneficial either. 100# or 200# or 300 # ???

For specifics . . the GC1715 plus me is about 1750# plus the fel is another 180#.

My rears are loaded so another 150# there ????

Suggestions ???

/ Adding weight to a Massey GC1715 scut #2  
Just a guess, but I'd probably go with somewhere around 400 pounds. What is the lift capacity of the 3 point hitch on that model? 600 - 700 pounds?

Ideally, you could build a ballast box that weighed 250 or so (I can't imagine you would want less weight than that) and leave room to add more weight to it, even if it's just by throwing chains or concrete and/or weight bench weights on/in it.

/ Adding weight to a Massey GC1715 scut #3  
You are going to want as much weight on the rear and front as it will safely handle. For moving snow weight is your friend. Check your specs and get close to max. The weight box would be a great option.

/ Adding weight to a Massey GC1715 scut
You are going to want as much weight on the rear and front as it will safely handle. For moving snow weight is your friend. Check your specs and get close to max. The weight box would be a great option.

Yes this inventing of ideas is never ending. I have an idea to creat both weight and implement use at the same time. However with snow/ice . . I want the weight as close to each axle as possible.

What I need is to get my tractor with me on it weighed. That way I'll know how much weight I can put on the unit before reaching max gvwr of tractor with mmm off.

/ Adding weight to a Massey GC1715 scut #5  
I have a GC2400 and I put about 400 lbs on the rear if mine and I would not want to put more than that on and work with it. I have industral tires that are loaded and It gets slow going up hill and I would worry about going fast over bumps. 400 lbs is a lot and works well.:2cents: Ed

/ Adding weight to a Massey GC1715 scut
I have a GC2400 and I put about 400 lbs on the rear if mine and I would not want to put more than that on and work with it. I have industral tires that are loaded and It gets slow going up hill and I would worry about going fast over bumps. 400 lbs is a lot and works well.:2cents: Ed

Good input Ed. Now a couple more oieces of info would help.

1. How much do you weight (about) ?

2. Do you use tire chains in winter ?

3. When going up a hill . . I assume your fel is on front and no mmm ?

/ Adding weight to a Massey GC1715 scut #7  
According to tractordata.com, this Massey appears to be 3 more hp than my BX2230, but size and weight are very close. My rear turf tires are loaded with washer fluid, but that's only about 95 lbs. I put a 5 foot rear blade on that's about 200 lbs, or in close quarters, I have a Cat 1 drawbar with 250 lbs of universal gym weights bolted on, for a total of about 260-265.

I've found that this handles snow quite nicely most of the time.

What I need is to get my tractor with me on it weighed. That way I'll know how much weight I can put on the unit before reaching max gvwr of tractor with mmm off.

BTW, there's an option for this tractor to come with a backhoe (model 1720). That sucker has to weigh in at 6-800 lbs I bet. And the 3ph is rated at 1190 lbs (that seems a bit high to me, but that's what it sez). I wouldn't worry about this at all. Do tractors actually have a gvwr??

/ Adding weight to a Massey GC1715 scut #8  
Do tractors actually have a gvwr??

I don't think so, but they do have specified weight limits for each axle. A ballast box, with 300-500 lbs will be fine. Sand makes a nice filler for winter, adds weight to the tractor, and then its with you if you need to spread some. I don't use much sand, but its nice to have for icy/shady spots and on the steps.

/ Adding weight to a Massey GC1715 scut #9  
Do tractors actually have a gvwr??

I don't think so, but they do have specified weight limits for each axle. A ballast box, with 300-500 lbs will be fine. Sand makes a nice filler for winter, adds weight to the tractor, and then its with you if you need to spread some. I don't use much sand, but its nice to have for icy/shady spots and on the steps.

/ Adding weight to a Massey GC1715 scut #10  
Greetings,

Well Wisconsin wnter is just 3.5 months away for my new tractor's 1st year as a "snow and cold" warrior.

My Massey GC1715 is rear footed with turf tires that are filled. And on front the Fel will be used often on the long sloped concrete driveway and numerous sidewalks.

A separate snowblower mounted on a lawn tractor will also be involved.

I believe additional rear weight beyond my own weight + loaded rears is a reasonable consideration. So the question is . . How much rear weight to add ?

"Reasonable" dictates that more is not always better just as too little is not always effective or beneficial either. 100# or 200# or 300 # ???

For specifics . . the GC1715 plus me is about 1750# plus the fel is another 180#.

My rears are loaded so another 150# there ????

Suggestions ???

Although we don't get much here in the way of snow, when there is some it arrives as several inches of heavy, wet, slushy stuff that then freezes into nasty ruts unless it's cleared. Our little BX has done the job for years, using the FEL in front and a small scraper blade in back. Using the loader bucket by itself is inefficient because it can't windrow the snow to the side. I'd offer the suggestion that for anything less than about a foot of snow, that back blade would be handier than just a weight on the 3 point.