Why I love simple tractors

/ Why I love simple tractors #1  

joeu235

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4020 / 6403 / 317 Ford 5600
Yesterday was hustling to get fertilizer out before the rain. I finally made out to my place with the buggy and several tons of fertilizer and the last step was to get the tractor hooked up to the buggy. The tractor started up right away and then died after 10 seconds. The tractor is a simple all mechanical tractor with no complicated electronics, emissions systems, DEF bs, interlock switches, coffee warmers, or built in seat massager. So I knew it could only be a problem with air or fuel delivery. Cracked a fuel line going to one of the cylinders, cranked the tractor until fuel started squirting out, tightened the line back up and I was in business. Must be an air leak somewhere which I'll tract down later.

/ Why I love simple tractors #2  
Except for my GMC truck, there isn't a computer in any of my equipment, and for that I am immensly thankfull! The odd circuit board maybe. One of my farmers was here with his Fendt 714? The computers have to boot up on starting before you cn do anything. He says, you must have a new or almost new tractor if you are going to have one of these, as they are too expensive to repair. Sometimes it's not even the tractors fault, but say a mouse eats through a wire. No one can find it or fix it. The farmer told me of such a story.

What is going to happen to all the high technology ten year old and older tractors? Do they simply go for electronic scrap like a ten year old microwave or dishwasher?

Last edited:
   / Why I love simple tractors #3  
I doubt the new tractors they're making today would last 10 years if they left them outside, uncovered the way me and all my neighbors stored our machines 20 years ago.

/ Why I love simple tractors #4  
Thats why the old stuff holds its value