What makes a tractor a tractor?”

/ What makes a tractor a tractor?” #1  

Henro

Tractor
Kubota B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini EX
Since the cold weather is back, after that taste of spring last week... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The <font color="blue"> "What makes a good tractor good?"</font> thread started the mental wheels turning. Ouch! That hurts! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Good is what makes a good tractor good. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just like bad is what can make a good tractor bad. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It’s the same as beauty, mostly in the eyes of the beholder.
icon14.gif

If we remove the value-laden word “good” from the question, the question reduces to: “What makes a tractor?”

Or maybe “What makes a tractor a tractor?”

There are vehicles that share similarities with tractors, but we may not call them tractors. An example would be a German Unimog. Super-low gearing (24 speeds sometimes), portal axles, rear and front PTOs available, But not usually thought of as tractors. Really neat trucks...

Is a skid steer a tractor? I don’t think so, but it may be. How about a SUV, if I rig up a 3PH, hook up an old rotary cutter and somehow make it turn, and put the combination out in the field brush cutting? I don’t think so, but...who am I to say?

Big wheels on the back, small on the front? Is that what makes a tractor a tractor??? No, some tractors have big wheels on the front too...

So what does make a tractor a tractor??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

How it looks?

How it works?

what it does?

I think I know a tractor when I see one, but now I'm not sure anymore... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Is this how you spell cabin fever??? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Maybe I should retitle this thread... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ What makes a tractor a tractor?” #2  
Bill..... I don't know how you do it. I think my head would explode if I "thought" as much as you do! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A tractor for me is something that goes real slow, has big back tires, is dirty and has a deisel engine... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greg

/ What makes a tractor a tractor?” #3  
Henro... Henro... You think too much and not enough time using your tractors /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

but some interesting threads.

/ What makes a tractor a tractor?” #4  
Well while were at it when does a lawn mower become a lawn tractor?Is it a hp thing, size,look or a marketing tool for the mfg's /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.I had a 10 hp Sears ride on mower,I would not call that a tractor.I think soon as the mfg says tractor the price goes up because now you own a "tractor" /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ What makes a tractor a tractor?” #5  
I have to agree with you there. I just don't see those ride on type mowers as "tractors". Even though you can get plows and disks to pull behind them, there is just something missing about them. Not to start a war or anything, but I don't think of the Steiners or the Powertracs as tractors anymore than I think of a skidsteer as a tractor. Maybe a multipurpose utility vehicle, but it just doesn't seem tractorish to me.

/ What makes a tractor a tractor?” #6  
When does a riding lawn mower become a tractor or not just a garden tractor ? Are the sub compacts just renamed garden tractors ?

/ What makes a tractor a tractor?” #7  
From Webster's Seventh

tractor - 1: TRACTION ENGINE 2 a: a 4 wheeled or caterpiller-tread rider-controlled automotive vehicle used esp. for drawing implements or for bearing and propelling such implements b: a smaller 2 wheeled apparatus controlled thru handlebars by a walking operator c: a truck with a short chassis and no body used in combination with a trailer for hwy hauling of freight - called also truck tractor 3: an airplane having the propeller forward of the main supporting surface

Does that mean the tricycle type ground ingaging machine aren't tractors?

/ What makes a tractor a tractor?” #8  
This question is far too philosophical for me. However, I really like the little "thumbs up" icon you used /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

/ What makes a tractor a tractor?” #9  
Re: What makes a tractor a tractor?&#8221;

Maybe traction or the ability to plow a tract of land. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Have you been watching too much Star Trek and got yourself caught in one of those tractor beams? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder what constitutes the defination of a tractor is up to the one who is setting in the seat whether it be large or small.

I do believe the State of New Hampshire classifies a tractor as a vehicle which carries only the driver no passenger seating when you register one for the road.

Judging from the depth of thought you have put into this matter I can only imagine the consternation you have put into the larger matters of life like how far is far or how high is high.

Actually it is good to see someone with some imagination I teach a high school class 4 mornings a week and I am shocked to see how little imagination kids have today.

Randy