Boxblade or Plow

/ Boxblade or Plow #1  

BigTee

Tractor
Mahindra eMax 25
I'm clearing off some land that I just bought, there is an area that I want plant a food plot in next spring. The area was used years ago for a staging area for logging. It is so rough and rutty that it will just about bounce you out of the seat trying to mow it. I want to level it now. Should I use a box blade or go ahead and try to plow it? It's about 1 1/2 to 2 acres.

/ Boxblade or Plow #2  
It sounds as if you need to box blade it to some form of level before it could even be plowed.

Ronnie

/ Boxblade or Plow #3  
If you have both implements...see what gives you the best results...

If you're looking for advice for buying a particular attachment...some pictures of the terrain and what you're dealing with would help...

/ Boxblade or Plow #4  
It sounds as if you need to box blade it to some form of level before it could be plowed.

=== X2 ===

However, your tractor is light for serious Box Blade work.

You cannot keep a plow in the ground if the front and rear wheels are undulating over ruts.

Last edited:
   / Boxblade or Plow #5  
Have you consider hiring dozer to level site?

/ Boxblade or Plow #6  
Are those the two implements you have access to? Rough food plots it seems like small discs are most frequently used for preparation. Of the two you listed for leveling I'd use the box.

/ Boxblade or Plow #7  
For leveling, I'd reach for the box, too.

Will you be using your eMax for this work? Depending on the amount of material that needs to be moved to achieve the level of smooth that you desire, it may be a good match for the job, or it might take a loooooooooooong time to finish.

A photo of the land and a description of the soil would help - is it rocky, sandy, clay? Is it covered with grass, weeds, brush, saplings? Are there stumps & roots remaining below the surface after the loggers picked up their skidders & left? Is it just tire ruts that need to be leveled, or is it large dips & ridges, requiring the movement of yards & yards of soil.
-Jim

/ Boxblade or Plow #8  
I would use a disc and some type of level drag item behind the disc. I have used cattle panels or a an old RR rail.

/ Boxblade or Plow
I have a boxblade and plow. The areas was grow up bad,it hasn't been touched in over 20 years. It was part of my wife's family farm and we wanted to get it back in the family. I plan on clearing the old pasture, about 12-14 acres, and on the other side it was about 8 acres of orchard and garden. I'll probably put some food plots out next year, but figure I'm 2 or three getting it all cleaned up.

Here is the area I'm talking about, doesn't look that rough in the picture,but you can hardly mow it for the ruts.

The first pics after I mowed it and the second is before.

Attachments

• IMG_0366_zpslqykn9jm.jpg
    IMG_0366_zpslqykn9jm.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0357_zpstutzphnw.jpg
    IMG_0357_zpstutzphnw.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 211
   / Boxblade or Plow #10  
I'd just plow it. After the harrow, it should kind of "self level". That's a rather large field. Don't know if the Max can pull a two blade but it would certainly shorten the time.