LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #61  
AxleHub: I lived South of Minneapolis (Lakeville) from 1967 thru 1990, so am VERY familiar with your area (had friends in Eau Claire). My daughter and her family live in Woodbury, Mn., but I get out there very seldom. My life is split Spring thru Fall, between Cape Cod, and Nova Scotia (tractors live on Cape Cod), Winter in Florida. At my age, it is the best that I can do. Will pick up my completely repainted 1988 Ford 1920 FEL today. It looks like NEW!
Sound like you stay on the move too. I'm between Ohio Kentucky and Florida Sometimes it's hard to remember what's where.
Look forward to seeing the pics of the repainted tractor.
Today I'll be removing 2 gal from each front tire in the 1025. Then adding wheel spacers to rear. The front R4 tires were making ruts in & tearing up yard. Will load ballast in rear tires after 50 hr service

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #62  
Another thing to note, regardless of the fluid you use, you should replace rubber stems with the metal variety. I've seen several posts on forums that rim guard dissolved the internal cement on valve stems after 5 years or so, causing messy leaks. The rim guard site warns against this too, and says it can happen with any type of fluid. They say it is due to lower quality tubes and valve stems these days. It would be worth the upgrade when you fill, rather than a repair later.

Great suggestion . . I'll do it. :)

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #63  
Some RV antifreeze is made with Propylene Glycol, and some is made with a combination of Ethanol and Methyl isobutyl ketone. I bought some Peak RV antifreeze recently and was surprised at the strong solvent odor. Peak makes both versions listed above. Apparently I got the Ethanol blend (threw away the container before researching). It smells like shellac.

Probably not a good idea to use the RV stuff with methyl isobutyl ketone (MIBK). This is a very strong solvent and is used in rubber based solvent adhesives. MIBK is a solvent for many types of rubber.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #64  
I had slime in the tires due to mesquite tree/bushes and added water. No issues YET. Sure if I have to change tires it will be a mess.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #65  
I used the propylene glycol variety that Tractor Supply had on sale when i got it. (in fact i got too much so i still have about 14 gallons of it, if you were nearby i'd give it to you... )

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #66  
It's a wonder that Ag tires are not filled with used engine oil. At 7 lbs per gallon, and it never freezes. One would think it a natural.

Heck, every tractor owner has too much of it.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #67  
I had the dealer fill my tires with RimGuard. 68 gallons/748# per tire. This was in 2009 when I bought the tractor new. Total cost was $1.65 per gallon - $225.

No charge for filling the tires. I can see why somebody might choose an alternate if RimGuard was that expensive.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #68  
My dealer says they use a methanol/water mix to fill tires. Cost is $100.00. They fill them 7/8th's of the way up.

How's this sound?

Last edited:
   / LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #69  
My dealer says they use a methane/water mix to fill tires. Cost is $100.00. They fill them 7/8th's of the way up.

How's this sound?
I believe you meant Methonal. Windshield washer fluid. That is what my dealer uses. He doesn't leave a new tractor leave his premises without filling the rear tires with it. It doesn't weigh as much as RimGuard but is also less costly and not near as messy should you get a tire puncture.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #70  
I believe you meant Methonal. Windshield washer fluid. That is what my dealer uses. He doesn't leave a new tractor leave his premises without filling the rear tires with it. It doesn't weigh as much as RimGuard but is also less costly and not near as messy should you get a tire puncture.

Yes, duh! (Thank you; fixed it) :)

That's good to know that your dealer does it too. How full does he fill them?