Are tractors evolving to more equally sized tires?

/ Are tractors evolving to more equally sized tires? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Are tractors evolving to more equally sized front-to-rear tire sizes?

Nothing scientific here but the new Kubtoas look like they have bigger front tires and now I see the new Case with bigger front tires.

case_ih_optum_300_cvx_with_cultivator.jpg

Is something going on that I don't know about?

/ Are tractors evolving to more equally sized tires? #2  
Most of the larger 4WD tractors I've seen have larger front tires then CUT 4WD machines. I don't think those larger tires will end up on CUTs. There's no real need (other then a more "macho" look) for them...not on a CUT.

/ Are tractors evolving to more equally sized tires? #3  
Are tractors evolving to more equally sized front-to-rear tire sizes?

----------------------------------------------

Is something going on that I don't know about?
Both of our "tractors" have equal size front and rear. :thumbsup:

P3180028.JPG

P3070023.JPG

/ Are tractors evolving to more equally sized tires? #4  
Even on smaller tractors it would make sense, if equipped with a loader. Larger footprint would be good, as the small front tires make ruts when I'm doing loader work, and added traction/flotation from a wider tire would be great.

/ Are tractors evolving to more equally sized tires? #5  
Tractors are designed to PULL. Larger rear tires provide considerable mechanical advantage when pulling implements.

Downside? Less 'top end' speed on the road.

On full-ag tractors larger wheels are likely to mitigate soil compaction. Quad rears are the next increment.

/ Are tractors evolving to more equally sized tires? #6  
Agree with Jeff, to a point. 50 years ago, on a row crop farm in the midwest, yes. Today, more loaders, and hobby farms, the need for massive pulling ability has transformed into a more multipurpose machine, that has 4x, and lifts loads on the front, not only the rear.

/ Are tractors evolving to more equally sized tires? #7  
More weight on the front of many tractors with FEL, extra weights, and front hitches becoming more common. But front wheel turning angle is less the larger the front tires get. Four wheel steer or articulation is a way around that problem.

Bruce

/ Are tractors evolving to more equally sized tires? #8  
Many cut's from Europe have equal sized tires front and rear and have equal weight on front and rear. I would see that as a big plus. Ed

/ Are tractors evolving to more equally sized tires? #9  
Even on smaller tractors it would make sense, if equipped with a loader. Larger footprint would be good, as the small front tires make ruts when I'm doing loader work, and added traction/flotation from a wider tire would be great.

Good point on the front footprint. I've got an old Ford 8N that is mostly used for finishing mower duty. I went and got some implement rims (tubeless) and picked up a pair of used car tires. They really help the front end with the wider tires to float and not dig in like the old tri-ribed fronts that were on there. The red head was happy because it no longer made the ruts when running the finishing mower around the yard.

/ Are tractors evolving to more equally sized tires? #10  
The red head was happy....

Is that possible?!?!

*grin * it would take lot more than just that to make my redhead happy... but it sure would be a step in the right direction. She hates it when I drive anything in her 'her' yard!