Deere 301/1020 Reverser issues or just low power?

/ Deere 301/1020 Reverser issues or just low power? #1  

lostih

Tractor
JD 301
I've been having a ball with my new JD301 industrial tractor. It starts and runs great and the loader has been very handy around the place. I'm a little concerned about its power though and am wondering if there is something amiss with the reverser on it. If I run the tractor in gear 7 or 8 (high range, 3 or 4) at full throttle it bogs and dies going up what I would think is a pretty reasonable grade...maybe 10% at most. I've been reading the tech manual about the reverser to see if thats my culprit as the tractor seems to have a much more 'positive' and connection in reverse than it does going forward. I understand that the reverse gears are 16% faster than the equivalent forward gears, but if feels like they are more like 50% faster. What I am wondering is if the reverser brake is dragging a bit when in the forward gears making the tractor move slower and taking lots more power to move it forward than it should. However, reading the tech manual all I can find is info about testing the hydraulics to make sure they are in spec...nothing about adjusting the brake throw. Any tips? My assumption is that the brake is applied for reverse and free for forward...is that true? The tractor doesn't exhibit any other signs of a lack of power...they hydraulics seem to be strong and the PTO doesn't seem to make it bog too much either (i've only run a 5' mower behind it).

Thanks in advance for any tips you can send me.

/ Deere 301/1020 Reverser issues or just low power? #2  
Have you changed hydraulic filter? Cleaned internal screen? Checked hydraulic oil level?

You are correct Reverse brake is applied for reverse and released for forward.

Brake is not adjustable, only pressure to it. I guess it's possible plates are warped to the point of not releasing.

Have done the stall test? This will tell if the forward clutch is slipping or reverse brake is slipping. It's in the tech manual.

You need to do the pressure tests to check for correct pressure and that pressures do not "overlap" after a direction shift, that is pressure goes to zero after a shift.