Let's Talk Air Filters........

/ Let's Talk Air Filters........ #1  

gltrap54

Silver Member
Tractor
B3200 Kubota
Just replaced both inner & outer air filters on my B3200 & with the cost approaching $100 bucks. Manual recommends changing them yearly........ I put about 50 hours a year on my tractor & keep the outer filter & evacuator valve clean...... While I recognize the importance of an air filter's function, could I safely go two years between changes?

/ Let's Talk Air Filters........ #2  
I blow mine out and maybe replace if beyond cleaning.A lot depends on operating conditions also.50 hours a year maybe change every three years.

/ Let's Talk Air Filters........ #3  
Agreed, If not in a dusty environment you can expect greater lifespan.

/ Let's Talk Air Filters........ #4  
I'm over 2 years and almost 200 hours on my factory air filters, with moderate dust while brush hogging. I air hose out the radiator daily, and the air filters about every 15-30 hours. I think I will replace the outter air filter soon. I would go by hours of use, not years of age.

/ Let's Talk Air Filters........ #5  
I agree that your filter is probably fine for years, yet. But... If your tractor is still under warranty, I would recommend doing all the maintenance & servicing "by the book". Just to keep your warranted butt covered.
I check my air filter regularly & the only time I found it dirty was when levelling ground this summer during a loooong dry spell. Being under warranty, I change it religiously in accordance with the maintenance schedule.
I'm lucky that Kioti uses a common Donaldson air filter on my tractor. $32.00 at the local NAPA.
It's the hydraulic filters that leave me with a limp wallet!

/ Let's Talk Air Filters........ #6  
If the filters don't look clean after blowing them out (by that, we mean from the inside towards the outside) then replace them. No need to waste money if nothing is to be gained. Unlike fluid filters, it is easy to visually inspect your air filters.

/ Let's Talk Air Filters........ #7  
After blowing the filter clean, stick a bright light inside the filter. If you can see the light through the filter, it is good enough to use.

/ Let's Talk Air Filters........
If the filters don't look clean after blowing them out (by that, we mean from the inside towards the outside) then replace them. No need to waste money if nothing is to be gained. Unlike fluid filters, it is easy to visually inspect your air filters.

Words to live by......... Everyone seems to be in agreement here...... Soooo, I'll stop throwing my money away..... :drink:

/ Let's Talk Air Filters........ #9  
The inner filter doesn't need changing in most cases unless the outer filter has failed. I change my outer filters once a year but they need it. I don't go to the dealer though. Try looking at a local truck parts place like TruckPro. I get Donaldson filters @ about 25% dealer price.

/ Let's Talk Air Filters........ #10  
I do a little different. I use a shop vacuum with a small nozzle on the outside of the filter. I think it is easier and less likely to blow a hole thru it. In other words, high volume low pressure air. Then I hold the filter up to the sun and look from the inside to the outside at the sun. If I see a bright light hole, it goes in the trash, otherwise if it appears clean and no holes, it goes back on the tractor.