650 John Deere

/ 650 John Deere #1  

cannonfodder666

Tractor
2320 JD Backhoe and Loader
There is a 1986 John Deere 650 4x4 for sale locally. It has a 60m inch front mount snowblower,60 inch mower and rear grader blade. At 16 -18 hp I think it is underpowered. I have a 2320 23-24 hp 2013 which I think would better suit these implements. Are they a direct bolt on to the midmount pto that is on my 2320.

/ 650 John Deere #2  
I bet you are wrong about it being under powered for those implements. I have a 1982 JD 650 with the 60" MMM and it handles it even in very heavy field grass. I have used a Kubota 7' backhoe with no problem at all, it handles a very heavy 8' steel rear mount grader blade. It skids large oak logs better than did my IH 424. Log splitter, no problem; its done more than we can ask. As long as I can wrangle parts, it will keep on keeping on. I think the PTO HP is more like 14HP, but the thing is a worker and sips diesel.

prs

/ 650 John Deere
So do the blower and mower fit my 2320? The earth must be much softer there and 14 hp won't do much with 2 or 3 feet of snow and a 5 ft swath unless you are barely moving.

/ 650 John Deere #4  
The JD-650 has a front mounted PTO to courses backward to the mower gear box. The mower suspension is also quite different, but maybe adaptable (if you can weld/fabricate what is not possible?). If you turn the gear box 180 degrees you "might" be able to modify the drive shaft to fit the Kubota. I have never had a snow blower, but the 650 front mount PTO does connect to it from the front of the tractor, you would certainly have to do some creative mods.

I have handled 36" heavy wet snows with my rear blade using tire chains all around and ballasted tires. Worked amazingly well, but speed certainly was not impressive as I backed the snow over the banks in short swaths. We rarely get such snows here in southern WV, but 1976, 1977, maybe 1984, and last year we did. Last year I did not have the blade on no way to get through the snow to get to it -- this year it will be on, hope to see not such snow here ever again (wishful thinking, I suppose). The shale/clay ground here is so hard that worms have evolved hard harts and jack hammers to make way ;-) I forgot to mention that the 650 handles a 48" rear rototiller with the greatest of ease, but that is a slow process inherently.

prs