Engine oil question

/ Engine oil question #21  
Can you use syth?.... yes without a doubt.

Should you use synth? if you like better cold weather starting, better cold start lubrication, longer times between oil changes, better hi temp protection.....yes.

Most new cars now come with and recommend synth.

Many truckers use syth in their trucks.

Here's a place to read stuff from regular people about Rotella T6. LOTS of good reading there.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

My 2 Toyotas use synth. I just put Rotella T6 in my new Mahindra. I will be putting it in my Cub Cadet, my log splitter and my generator.

T6 can be used in gas engines too.

The 5w-40 vs 15w-40 or 10w-30 is not an issue.

I've been told NOT to use in in 0w-20 engines.

/ Engine oil question #22  
It is all snake oil, pun intended.:rolleyes:

Interesting experiment, I have been using wally world 15w40 in my 97 F350 7.3 since the first oil change. Change oil every 5k and 297k later, still doing fine, no repairs to motor internals yet...quit doing UOAs on this truck a while ago, they always came back fine.

/ Engine oil question #23  
How does the oil know the car is halfway down the track?
How does it know the engine is making its maximum power?

Huh? This is when these dynamics occur. The oil doesn't "know" a thing. Maximum power is designated by engine dynamics not distance traveled. The greatest dynamics occur at certain rpm's that happen to coincide with where the car is on the track. As torque always comes in before hp, the torque is also happening "before" available hp.This knowledge is gained by computers as no dyno goes up to 10,000 hp.

/ Engine oil question #24  
How does the oil know the car is halfway down the track?
How does it know the engine is making its maximum power?

If you have to ask you would not understand.

/ Engine oil question #25  

Interesting experiment, I have been using wally world 15w40 in my 97 F350 7.3 since the first oil change. Change oil every 5k and 297k later, still doing fine, no repairs to motor internals yet...quit doing UOAs on this truck a while ago, they always came back fine.

I run store brand oils in all of my tractors. I have never experienced a lube related failure. I have a couple engines I have done top end work on and I converted those to syn, but it is the cheap store brand syn.. like kendal or walmart.

The 6.0 PSD I drive for work I used to run that motorcraft branded 15w40 walmart sold.. but got hard to find and about that time i was switching to the valvoline ultra blue syn anyway, and I run that in both my 7.3's My old 450 sets alot and I like the film strength a syn offers for startup lube.

In the end, oil changes with clean oil that meets the manufacturers minimum specs, and changed before the oil tests out bad or via usage chart is way better than neglect.

I have opened up old tractors that had their oil filter can and engine dipstick painted over soo many times that I know they were just topped off for 50 years... scarry..

/ Engine oil question #26  

It is interesting. On API's test page Wally oil scores very well compared to the name brand stuff.

/ Engine oil question #27  
Since wally doesn't make any oil, but rather buys it from custom bottlers / refiners.. ( as do all others that don't have refineries and oil wells in their back yards ).. it's not a huge surprise..

/ Engine oil question #28  
My 2015 power stroke and my m59 kubota that I recently sold both specified 10-30. I think my two rtv-900x's want 10w30 as well. They all get 5w40. I buy the delo because it was slightly cheaper vs rotella when I went there and I buy pallets at a time. I think the delo and rotella are very similar quality wise. I buy whichever is on sale.

My older and larger diesels like my 1980 4440, my 98 kenworth, 98 international, all get 15-40 because they have thousands of hours on it so why change now and some of them take upwards of ten gallons of oil so it is costly to change them. I don't see the benefit of switching at this point on a machine that ran 8000 hrs already on 15-40 but when I buy something new I spring the extra for the synthetic.

After I wrote that out it doesn't make much sense because if the 15-40 got my old machines 8000+ hours why do I need something better in the new ones? I probably don't but it makes me feel good. I do notice in my pickup it turns over faster on cold mornings.

Rotella and Delo are both very good choices. I do SOS oil sampling through Toromont Cat's labs and those two oils always tested out the best in my big trucks and Powerstroke.

/ Engine oil question #29  
I've used Rotella T6 5-40w full synthetic in my L4330 since its first change. Got about 450 hours now. Engine seems to really like it, no matter if it's cold or hot. From the Shell website:

IMPROVED HIGH/LOW TEMPERATURE PROTECTION

Shell Rotella® T6 provides extra protection against breakdown by heat and offers up to 70% better oxidation resistance, compared to conventional Shell Rotella® T3 15W-40 API CJ-4 oil. Shell Rotella® T6 5W-40 provides excellent low-temperature flow, even at -30ºF. MAINTENANCE SAVINGS

At lower temperatures, using Shell Rotella® T6 5W-40 can help your engine start more easily than using a 15W-40 viscosity- grade product.

Shell Rotella® T6 5W-40 can help protect the durability of the starter and battery in harsh winter climates.

Shell Rotella® T6 5W-40 provides unsurpassed protection against shear-stability degradation, compared to the leading competitive API CJ-4 5W-40 products. An extremely shear-stable product helps maintain consistent viscosity and oil pressure in the engine.

- Jay

/ Engine oil question #30  
I went to TSC today and noticed there was only one 1 gallon jug of T6 on the shelf. No qts or 2 gals. The clerk says they can't keep up with the demand.