Suddenly addicted to our MH50!

/ Suddenly addicted to our MH50! #1  

snuppaelena

Tractor
Massey-Harris MH50
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and joined to hopefully get a few great tips on being a tractor owner. I was given a '56 Massey Harris 50 by my father. He purchased this tractor in the mid 80s and feels it is time to pass it on. He used it primarily for plowing his steep mile long road to the house. I have been using it over the past week to practice for plowing soon IMG_9922.jpgIMG_9944.jpgIMG_9953.jpg and had a few questions about it and found this forum.

First is....
Where can I find a mount for the front of the tractor for pulling and attachments?
Is there any special maintenance things I need to know.
How to get it started in cold temps? I had trouble today when it was 35' F but it started right up at 50'F.

Attaching a few photos. My 13 year old motor head son is addicted, just like I am! Thanks for reading and hope to hear form some! IMG_0024.jpgIMG_0039.jpg

/ Suddenly addicted to our MH50! #2  
I can't help with your Massey questions, but that is a jewel! Really nice tractor.

/ Suddenly addicted to our MH50! #3  
I hate to be the one to tell you this but your son may never give you the chance to drive the tractor at all!
I remember when I was 12 and my family bought our first used Ford 8N. I spent many a hundred great hours on that tractor as a teenager!!!

/ Suddenly addicted to our MH50!
Thank you, kmassing!

UT, I am seeing that already in him. But it will also give him a feeling of usefulness and his ideas to keep busy positive with productive things to do. That alone is worth that tractor's weight in gold. It's another task to place on his resume or scholarship application. He plans to be an automotive engineer. He already is trying to modify cars and trucks to make them better. :)

/ Suddenly addicted to our MH50! #5  
Thank you, kmassing!

UT, I am seeing that already in him. But it will also give him a feeling of usefulness and his ideas to keep busy positive with productive things to do. That alone is worth that tractor's weight in gold. It's another task to place on his resume or scholarship application. He plans to be an automotive engineer. He already is trying to modify cars and trucks to make them better. :)

Don't be surprised when he wants to mount a Cherry Bomb muffler on the Massey !

Much like the glass packs we have on a '62 Willys that is being restored. Lol

/ Suddenly addicted to our MH50! #7  
I don't know much about older diesels, but on my NH the engine starts up much better when the oil is synthetic. Shell Rotella 5w-40 is reasonably priced.

I can't help with your Massey questions, but that is a jewel! Really nice tractor.

I don't know much about older diesels, but on my NH the engine starts up much better when the oil is synthetic. Shell Rotella 5w-40 is reasonably priced.
Thank you for the reply.
I should specify more on my Massey. It's a gas powered Massey and has had trouble with the gas tank and gas line from tank to engine. It has been replaced and a shut off valve and needle valve placed. Now starting it yesterday was near impossible til the afternoon when it warmed up. I even warmed the line in case there was water from condensation in the way and frozen, blocking the flow.
I'll find out what oil was placed when it was changed a few weeks ago.

I forgot to mention we do use the lead additive to the gas as it requires leaded gas.

/ Suddenly addicted to our MH50! #10  
Howdy snuppaelene! You will find a lot of help in the Massey vintage forum.