Traction Subsoiler/Line Plow and Turf Tires

/ Subsoiler/Line Plow and Turf Tires #1  

fidowanttobe

Platinum Member
Tractor
Jinma 284 2007 Massey Harris 44 Special
Anyone have any experience with a Northern Tool & Equipment style subsoiler and Turf Tires? I understand it all depends on soil conditions, weight and depth. Several passes are doable, with the last plowing in cables or plastic pipe with a homebuilt attachment on back. Just afraid I won't have the weight to stop the turfs from spinning even with weight in the loader bucket. Thanks.

/ Subsoiler/Line Plow and Turf Tires #2  
Anyone have any experience with a Northern Tool & Equipment style subsoiler and Turf Tires? I understand it all depends on soil conditions, weight and depth. Several passes are doable, with the last plowing in cables or plastic pipe with a homebuilt attachment on back. Just afraid I won't have the weight to stop the turfs from spinning even with weight in the loader bucket. Thanks.

I use plows for turning soil, I don't think you will be very successful even on multiple passes. Turf tires won't get enough traction to put cable/pipe down even to 12 inches. I've been wrong before, this is just MY opinion.:confused2:

/ Subsoiler/Line Plow and Turf Tires #3  
You can try loading the rear tires with liquid ballast and using tire chains.

/ Subsoiler/Line Plow and Turf Tires #4  
Tractor data has your tractor at 3000 pounds and 4wd. I don't think you will have any problem pulling a NT subsoiler with turf tires. Guys on here are pulling the same tool with much smaller tractors.

/ Subsoiler/Line Plow and Turf Tires #5  
When I was a kid we used to pull a 6-8" moldboard plow with a Gibson garden tractor, the tires were filled but really worn down R1s, (1/2" of tread or less) it never had much of a problem. I doubt that the Gibson weighed much more than a lot of lawn tractors.

/ Subsoiler/Line Plow and Turf Tires #6  
I have the NT subsoiler, on my B2710 with loaded tires and front end loader, I run out of horse power before I run out traction with turfs or R4s on it unless it is in soft ground.

/ Subsoiler/Line Plow and Turf Tires
Thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully this is the last year of dragging 200' of garden hose.

/ Subsoiler/Line Plow and Turf Tires #8  
Depending on soil conditions, I angle my subsoiler so it is pulling down deep (or tries to). That helps to squat the tires and give me more rear traction.