New Kioti CK3510hst Smell

/ New Kioti CK3510hst Smell #1  

Hdoilcan

Gold Member
Tractor
2018 KIOTI CK3510SE CAB, 2475L BACKHOE, 72 BOX BLADE, 72 REAR BLADE, 72 LANDSCAPE RAKE, 1,250 LB 55 GAL DRUM BALLAST, 2018 FERRIS IS 700Z, 26HP 810 VANGUARD ENGINE
I purchased a new Kioti CK3510hst and im wondering about the smell it gives off. Since I purchased it I noticed the smell was different than the diesel smell of my former L3540. I figure it was the new-ness just wearing off. After mabe 6 hrs of use while going up a small hill the tractor started smoking for mabe 15-20 seconds. The smell was a little stronger. I talked to the dealer (salesman) and he said it was nothing to be concern about. Well it's happen a few more times and the service engine light came on. Dealer picked it up and light wouldn't come on while he had it...... They brought it back and after a few hours it came back on...... They had me manually put it into regen and it wouldn't. They picked it up again and found that there was a loose connection in a male/female connection. I asked if they were able to make it go into regen and they said yes that working now. He said the smell is normal that it will smell different than the non teir 4 engines...... This was today I talked to him. They are going to deliver it back on Monday. My question is...... Does the new engines give off a different smell? If so is it a strong smell? I ask because the older guy that picked the tractor up the first time said he thought the smell of the tractor was pretty strong. At times it kinda burns my eyes if the wind was in the right direction.my teenage son often works outside with me when I'm doing loader work and he has had to put his face in his shirt. Just wondering if I should expect this and except it or does it sound like something isn't right? I should also add that when I purchased it I had them install the HD air filter Kioti offers over the standard air filter. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it or not.

/ New Kioti CK3510hst Smell #2  
Why the HD filter instead of the stock one?
Seems the regen issue was a loose electrical connection.
And it's not going to smell like your old tractor; mostly because it's new and it's Tier 4. Give it some time.
How many hours on it?

/ New Kioti CK3510hst Smell
Actually it's the dual filter kit and I just figured a dual filter was better than a single filter. It was around 6 hrs when it first smoked then around 15 hrs when the service engine light came on. Dealer said continue to run it even tho the light is on unless it goes into limp mode. So I did and at 29 hrs the regen warning light came on but it wouldn't go into regen. That's when they came and got it.
Btw..... My dealer is three hrs away and this is the second time he has picked it up at no cost to me.

/ New Kioti CK3510hst Smell #4  
Don't know if it's what you're experiencing (the smoking sure doesn't sound right), but the exhaust of the new Kioti Tier 4's doesn't smell anything like the older diesels. Hard to describe, but it's almost a mildly-acrid flowery smell by comparison, and no smoke. If you start up in a garage or barn bay and let it idle there for a short while, it can indeed irritate your nose and eyes. No more so than with older diesel exhaust, of course. It's just that it sneaks up on you because it's not so apparently present in the air.

/ New Kioti CK3510hst Smell #5  
I have had my face directly in the exhaust stream momentarily and noticed that, for a diesel, the exhaust barely smells at all. When starting in a three-sided shed, it does get a little stinky, but normal fume stink, not anything unusual. I never notice any exhaust fumes while out in the open. Any additives in the fuel? Fresh fuel?