Kioti oil change that went wrong

/ Kioti oil change that went wrong
Filling the fuel bowl can make for less cranking to purge air, but if the petcock is left in the off position then opened when the new filter is closed in the bowl it shouldn't take long cranking to suck fuel in and start the engine.
I wouldn't be overly worried about that, so long as there are no air leaks allowing air into the fuel system's pressurized side.

And running it may help clear things up.
You won't be able to 'see' coolant unless there is a fair amount of it present. I'd take a clean sample of crankcase oil and send it out for analysis. This will give you a reference point to work from. Oil analysis will give you PPM of whatever is in the oil.

Yes...i plan on getting a sample and sending to the lab that we use for the motorhome. I think with everyones great advice we have reached almost a conclusion ! Your post of CK owners was very helpful. Now i have to wait until next monday to get back to Tenn. to fix it....

/ Kioti oil change that went wrong #42  
Yes...i plan on getting a sample and sending to the lab that we use for the motorhome. I think with everyones great advice we have reached almost a conclusion ! Your post of CK owners was very helpful. Now i have to wait until next monday to get back to Tenn. to fix it....

No Problem, glad to help. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the particulars of the CK series to speak without checking in with those who know more than me - wait, is that even possible?!:laughing:

I think you're on the right track, and your tractor will be fine in the long run....:thumbsup:

Well, back to getting the tractor running. I changed the oil this morning and a miniscule of antifreeze when draining, so i think i have that dilemma fixed . Also installed a new oil filter. Started it up and it still continues to smoke....it does let up some after running up to temp. but none the less it never smoked before i did the oil change. Also i can hear a ticking sound while the engine is running. I am beginning to think i have a bad ring or 2 since the engine did make a clunk sound on initial startup after 1st oil change ( maybe a partial hydro lock ? ). It might be time to put on trailer and take to the dealer !

/ Kioti oil change that went wrong #44  
I think the situation is not nearly as rosy as you are being told.

The issue I see is that the antifreeze is more dense than the oil and sinks to the bottom of the oil pan.

Here is the problem -- I have never seen an oil pan which drains completely. There is always a small amount of fluid left in the bottom of the pan simply because the boss that the drain plug fits into is thicker than the metal of the pan. A small amount of old oil left over is no big deal in an oil change, but in this instance, the material left over is not oil, but antifreeze. You can fill and drain and fill and drain as much as you want, but this volume is always going to remain behind and is always going have the more dense fluid in it.

I would drain all of the existing oil and then carefully soak up the fluid remaining behind in the pan with thin strips of either paper towels or very absorbent rags, think cheap washcloths washed and dried once. Put then in through the drain hole and force them down into the area around the hole with a bent coat hanger or similar tool.

Final Update ! I brought home the tractor yesterday. In what was thought as a hydrolok due from filling the oil to fast thru the manifold service port, turned out to not be the case at all. The hydrolok occurred due to the #3 fuel nozzle leaking and filling up the cylinder. So when i went to start the tractor i had a partial lok. Thats what was causing the tractor to smoke. The dealer changed all 3 nozzles ( my request since i had the tractor there ) but tractor still smoked. The #3 nozzle was found to have debris in it, probably when i changed the fuel filter ? They removed the head and found #3 piston rod bent due to the fuel hydrolok. This resulted in a complete #3 cylinder rebuild. Total price on the repairs was $3000. I contacted Kioti USA to see what warranty i had left. Very helpful and to my satisfaction Kioti paid $2100 of the bill !!!. I paid for the fuel injectors as they were not under warranty. Very good mechanics at Homestead Tractor in Cleveland, TN. They didn't want the tractor leaving the shop until it ran normally. Now i can get back to a list of projects that have piled up for me !!

Thanks for all the advice everyone !!

/ Kioti oil change that went wrong #46  
Hi everyone. I did my 200 hr. service this morning. All going good till i started putting the new oil in. As i got towards the bottom of the jug i noticed this green substance which i knew was antifreeze, so i stopped pouring, maybe a pint of it got into the engine. This jug had the seal broken but thought the oil looked ok....this is the same oil i use in our motorhome. Somehow this jug was used oil mixed with antifreeze, something another person who works around our place did.

Now luck as it was i noticed i had forgotten a washer on one of the drain plugs. So i took out the drain plug and i could see the green stuff coming out of the oil pan. Also i had never started the engine during this whole process. S o i finished draining all the bad oil out refilled with a new fresh oil jug which i had. Went to start the tractor and it made a clanging noise but finally smoothed out. The tractor right now is blowing a whiteish smoke and misses at times. I did change the fuel filter as well and used the air bleed valve to get the air out.

So...do any of you think i damaged anything ? My mind tells me that the bad oil i used is going to take some time to burn out ? It still misses like it is not getting fuel....maybe i didn't get all the air out ?

Thanks for any advice !

Guess i will be putting it on the trailer and taking to the Kioti dealer tomorrow....

Always fill up all filters as much as you can with fresh (whatever) they filter even if they screw on sideways.

Your engine is fine. Run it a little while and what air is in there should bleed out with every misfire.

/ Kioti oil change that went wrong #47  
Your engine is fine. Run it a little while and what air is in there should bleed out with every misfire.
You do realize that the post right above yours describes how he had a bad injector that hydrolocked the #3 cylinder and bent a rod right?
His engine was not "fine" in any normal definition of the word.

Aaron Z

/ Kioti oil change that went wrong #48  
You do realize that the post right above yours describes how he had a bad injector that hydrolocked the #3 cylinder and bent a rod right?
His engine was not "fine" in any normal definition of the word.

Aaron Z

Mine was a page 1 post. =)

I suppose i could have continued by saying, and if the problem doesn't clear up, then you have a problem.

Bad injector seal, huh?

Bad luck with a filter change.