John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE***

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE*** #21  
Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to give you all an update. I received a call today letting me know there has been a new valve designed to replace the "One that performs to specs" and my dealer will be installing it the week of Thanksgiving. Apparently I take a back seat to Hunting Season here in VT. I for sure will let you all know the results. It's odd that since this post and a few other truthful/informative messages the issue has been dealt with and hopefully resolved. Thanks again for all your replies.

Well hey, progress is progress

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE*** #22  
I can certainly understand the OP's frustration and, perhaps, the lack of positive communication. However this latest development shows that JD was aware of the problem and were/are actively working on a solution.

I'm confident that JD will put it right and that they'll do it at no charge. That's how my JD dealership would go about it.

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE*** #23  
I purchased a new JD 4066M in April of 2015. Same issues with lack of roll / down pressure with the bucket. Also lack of curl pressure, can't breakout a full bucket of gravel without using the lifting cylinders. Also making an intermittent barking noise associated with the hydraulics. After some investigation the dealer admitted JD is having loader valve issues on the 4-family models. They say the valve is in engineering and don't have any idea when it will be available. The same valve they told you was available and hopefully was installed in your tractor and working as it should be? The dealers short term fix - approved by JD - was increased the pressure from 2500 PSI to 3200 PSI. Appears to be working for now however still have the intermittent barking noise (seems a little less). I'm not satisfied with increasing the pressure beyond design to compensate for a poorly designed valve/system. At the very least I'm going to insist on a document stating the issues with a commitment to replace the valve when available. Has the redesigned valve been installed and does it work?

Original individual that posted - FYI I also sent you an e-mail with more detail.

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE*** #24  
Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to give you all an update. I received a call today letting me know there has been a new valve designed to replace the "One that performs to specs" and my dealer will be installing it the week of Thanksgiving. Apparently I take a back seat to Hunting Season here in VT. I for sure will let you all know the results. It's odd that since this post and a few other truthful/informative messages the issue has been dealt with and hopefully resolved. Thanks again for all your replies.

Well -- how did you make out?

wrooster

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE*** #25  
I thought it was just me..i bought a 4066r last summer. I have the 485a backhoe with it, it barely gets the tractor off the fround at all when i yry to lift the front tires. This makes total sense.

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE*** #26  
Does anyone have any further information about this problem and the new valve? I have a 4052R That is doing the same thing and my dealer says he knows nothing of a problem with the valve. If I place the bucket flat on the ground and roll the bucket out it just moves until it takes up the slack in the loader frame and stops. If I want to scrape ice I have to adjust the bucket to the angle down I want while in the air and then lower the loader to the what ever amount of pressure I want to apply. Pain in the butt. I have asked my dealer to contact John Deere but so far no information.

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE*** #27  
Yeah my dealer played dumb too, said he knew a little of and then blew me off again

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE*** #28  
The JD rep (Corey, don't know last name) and the dealer service manager (Nobbie equipment) just left my place. The JD rep said the issue is the loader valve design. He went on to explain that in previous years the fluid from the cylinders were diverted straight to tank on the other side of the rod piston. When a heavy load was dumped as quickly as possible the weight of the load would be greater than the rate at which the hydraulic pump could fill the cylinder on the pressure side. This caused the bucket to stop momentarily until the hydraulic pump could replace the fluid and build pressure. The intent of design used on family 4 was to deliver the pressure from one side of the rod piston to the other causing a balancing effect. The pressure produced by the hydraulic pump would flow to the side of the cylinder desired allowing better bucket control. The problem this caused is loss of hydraulic cylinder power and speed due to balancing the pressure or as JD calls it - regenerative. JD rep said there is another valve being deigned by engineering that will have the regenerative feature just off center (loader valve) and as the lever is pusher further to the right or left the fluid on the off side of the cylinder will be diverted to tank allowing the full pressure to be applied to only one side of the cylinder rod piston. He did say it would be summer before a valve's available and possible late summer. He also indicated other series of tractors have this correct however those valves wouldn't bolt up without tubing / hose modifications. Also said JD would cover parts and labor to correct. After the redesigned valves installed they will readjust the system pressure from 3200 PSI to 2500 PSI. This should increase the speed of the bucket as well as take less RPM's to do the same job. We'll see, I've been very frustrated with JD. The explanation does sounds reasonable.

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE*** #29  
Wow, the system pressure right now is 3200 ?!

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE***
Hi Everyone,
So I wanted to give you all an update on what is happening on my end. A new valve has been installed on my tractor by my dealer. It has made a big difference in the overall performance of the hydraulic pressure. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of having had a JD before to compare it to. I know it still doesn't work as well as my New Holland did but it is much better than it was.

The regional service rep. flew in to meet with me and to discuss the tractor and what had and is happening. My valve is one of 3 that were made by John Deere engineering. Based on my results and apparently the results of 2 other tractors with the same issue they will go to mass production to replace a valve that they know is not right for the tractor/application on the 4066 R's. I also had a new controller for my loader installed, it is a prototype that offers 3 locked positions instead of the 2. I need to get back to my dealer as JD wants feedback through them and I can't seem to notice any advantage over what was there. Apparently it's supposed to move the bucket quicker but I am not seeing it.

I am assuming they will be contacting owners of the 4066 R tractors but I would reach out instead of waiting. No pun intended but the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I will say JD has stepped up. I know they have been following these threads as my rep. (Hi Sean) asked that I take it down. I don't think I should take it down, I think it's a good tool for showing the tractor world how a company can react to their mistake. After all, I believe it's not the mistakes you make in life, but how you respond to them that defines who you are as either a business or person. I hope for JD's sake they continue to do the right thing. As anything else comes up, I will keep you posted.