John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE***

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE*** #1  

Freetime 101

Tractor
John Deere 4066R
To Whom it may concern,

In February of 2015 I purchased a new John Deere 4066R Tractor with a loader. Apparently I was one of the first in the Northeast to take receipt of the new model year tractor. I am not sure about the rest of the country. Upon receipt I noticed my loader bucket could not hold a load of half shavings / half manure from my horse stalls. Within a half hour it would roll forward and dump on the ground. I contacted my dealer and they told me both Hydraulic Cylinders were bad on the loader and they would replace them which they did.

I have had several other issues with the tractor and won't go into detail but the detail I will go into is as follows. The hydraulic cylinders on the loader were fine. What is a problem is the new hydraulic valve design that controls downward pressure such as rolling or pushing the bucket down or back dragging, or maintaining the buckets position. What this means is there isn't enough pressure to raise the front of the tractor off the ground by either rolling or pressing the bucket down. This is interesting as the new loader design is a quick release so you can roll the front end up, release the hinges and drive away. Right now at 2k RPM's I can get the front tires about an inch off the ground and it only lasts for roughly 10 seconds. If I push down to hard trying to back drag, the engine quits. In order to properly remove the loader or put my chains on or take them off, I have to use my excavator and a strap to raise the front end. Now here's the best part.....

John Deere is aware of this issue. They have known about it since last winter I have looked to see if there is anything online about it and I can't find it. Which means they aren't telling people. Since last winter I have been told that although the valve is working to specifications it is not as good as the one it replaced so they are working on a new design which I was told would have been completed and installed in my tractor by early fall. Well it's late fall. All they will say now is the valve is working to specifications and they are still working on a solution. Basically I am getting the run around from my dealer all the way to the President of John Deere North America Jim Fields who will not even respond. It took me calling their customer service rep. monthly, then weekly, then daily to finally get something in writing that they are working on a new valve but the one in the tractor works to spec. That's all they will say.

While trying to explain to my dealer that I have owned other tractors and have never had an issue like this. My 40HP New Holland would stand up on that front end to change tires or put on or remove my chains. What about getting stuck and using the bucket to roll out. Not with my John Deere. And my previous New Hollands would hold a load of shavings all night and not budge. Right why did I switch..... New Holland didn't have a 60HP with a cab that would fit on my trails through the woods. The profiles were bigger. The other feature was the ability to remotely move the tractor from outside the cab as I have several attachments.

Until now I had respect for John Deere. I not only purchased the tractor, but I bought a gator and frontier spreader as well. My dealer says it's a John Deere issue, John Deere won't own up to it in writing and I am stuck with a tractor that doesn't do what it should. I am sure it's not a lot for some people but between all 3 pieces of equipment I spent about 100k and John Deere should be bending over backwards to make this right. Instead they are acting like they are running for political office stating, "The Valve works to Specifications." That doesn't mean anything. I have a case # so it's real. They are just hoping I will go away. I won't. I gave them the chance to respond with real answers.

This is the beginning, I will be shooting videos of my friends who own, Kubota, New Holland and Coyote and all those tractors can do what this top of the line John Deere cant. I will post them on you tube and then will have one of me needing my excavator to lift my tractor. I will hopefully be able to shame John Deere into taking care of this. I am totally disappointed with how poorly John Deere treats their customers. They never should have sold one more tractor without disclosing this information to buyers starting the day after they determined it doesn't work. And it doesn't. You could put a valve from anything and say it performs to specifications. That doesn't mean it works in the application. If I had the money I would buy a spot for a commercial during their golf tournament and make sure everyone see's who the real John Deere is, or isn't in this case. As it is, I now need to spend even more on my attorney. Which I am going to do.

If I could do it over again I would never buy Green. The R in the series should stand for ridiculous. Doesn't anyone take ownership anymore?

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE*** #2  
To answer your question at the end of your post: No. Its the hot trend to blame others. From corporations to grammar school kids, responsibility is a dying value.

But...Just devils advocate here. Have you tried messing around with the quick couplers for the SCV? The old ones (like mine) could slightly unseat and allow air into the system, making it go all wacky. Personally I'd relieve the system pressure and disconnect, wipe clean and reconnect each one, making sure they all seat fully and easily. Any issues with the 3pt hitch? is it only in the bucket tilt function?

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE*** #3  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

I can't respond to your concerns, only to say that it's your dealership who should be working overtime to solve this problem. It's their reputation that's on the line, more-so than JD's.

I know for a fact that my dealership would come out, with their mobile service ute, every day until the problem was solved. (happened with a farmer a few k's from here, and that was a cab door that didn't close) Perhaps you can sit down with the owner of your dealership and have a frank discussion over this.

Best of luck.

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE*** #4  
not trying to be a smart butt, but your 100k to them is about like a pickup load of sand in the desert

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE*** #5  
Best of luck in getting your issues resolved. I hate to hear that you aren't satisfied, I had no brand loyalty prior to the purchase of my JD 3005 about 2.5 years ago. It has treated me well, and will EASILY lift the front tires off the ground with the loader hydraulic system. It would do so the day I got it, but after that I did add a shim kit to the relief valve to up the hydraulic system pressure a bit, which made a noticeable difference in lifting power.

Hope they makes it right.

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE*** #6  
I second the checking of your quick disconnects. That just might be it allright.

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE*** #7  
To answer your question at the end of your post: No. Its the hot trend to blame others. From corporations to grammar school kids, responsibility is a dying value.

But...Just devils advocate here. Have you tried messing around with the quick couplers for the SCV? The old ones (like mine) could slightly unseat and allow air into the system, making it go all wacky. Personally I'd relieve the system pressure and disconnect, wipe clean and reconnect each one, making sure they all seat fully and easily. Any issues with the 3pt hitch? is it only in the bucket tilt function?

I agree... I was having an occasional "limp bucket" on my Massey. Disconnecting and reseating the loader quick connects would fix it, temporarily. Then I noticed that the poppet inside of the hose connector was pushed off-center. Must have been a bad spring in that hose coupler. I think it cost me $10 to screw on a new hose coupler, and the issue has never come up again.

Worth checking.

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE***
First off I want to say thanks for the tips however I am not sure I communicated correctly the first time. My dealer has tried to fix this issue. John Deere has incorrectly designed a valve for this particular tractor. There are others who have the same issue. My warning is to those who have either bought this tractor and maybe don't have a loader, or those looking to buy this tractor. Maybe there are those of you who don't know better and just think that is how the tractor is supposed to work. In any case, John Deere verbally admitted that the valve was a new design that doesn't work with this tractor. They made a mistake. The problem is, they won't put it in writing and all they continue to say is we are working on a new design for a replacement valve. Who knows if it's even true??? So rather than offer to have bought it back, or tell all prospective buyers. They are not taking ownership of the issue. No one is, not my dealer, not John Deere. And for those of you who think it's the dealer issue. Good luck with that, they didn't design and build the valve.

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE*** #9  
Sorry to read about this, something that just shouldn't be happening with an expensive new piece of machinery from a major manufacturer. Our neighbor recently bought a new Deere 5055e, and he has had multiple problems with it. So far, the dealer has come out and fixed them, one by one, but it appears that Deere has a QC issue- or at least his does. Your problem sounds more serious- not a QC issue but rather a design flaw. Good luck!!

/ John Deere 4066R Hydraulic issue. ***OWNERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE*** #10  
Any chance there is another model like yours at a dealer around there? Maybe you could get them to show you if that one would do the same as yours?