Plowing/compact tractors

/ Plowing/compact tractors #1  

massey29

Tractor
Massey 1529
Just a update for plowing with a compact tractor.
I have a Massey 1529 and attached is a Dearborn 10-1 plow I believe.
I have plowed for years with the old Ford 8n N and this Massey plows so much better and with no strain.
I use it today mainly for food plots.

KISS (Keep it simple stupid)

No fancy setup up.
Its not like I am plowing 80 acres or more.
I put the plow on set it and the tractor on our gravel road and make sure the plow is running level--the shares are flat on the ground.
Nothing more.
Here are the results--- IMG_2110.JPGIMG_2111.jpgIMG_2112.jpgIMG_2114.JPG

/ Plowing/compact tractors #2  
Nice job. My CUT does a nice job too. But the operator must be cross eyed, because the furrows are never straight like yours.

Welcome to TBN and some great members and source of helpful information.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Plowing/compact tractors #3  
Really nice rows and beautiful soil. Makes a moldboard perform. Loader empty or loaded? 4wd makes a difference doesn't it! My Branson is my first 4wd of any kind and I just didn't know what I was missing.

Down here Houston black clay is the name of the game; mush when wet, rocks when dry. You should have seen, naw better you didn't, my first attempt at plowing upon migrating from an urban to a rural citizen. Had a single bottom, no coulter, no offset wheel, Farmall B, and it was my first day in my farming class at Hard Knocks, U.. What a mess.

/ Plowing/compact tractors
It is a sandy/gravel loam/ and a lot of rock. I was in a good spot there. It had just rained so the soil was nice and moist. That little three acre field was my uncles until the 70's. He farmed with horses until he retired in the early 60's and until then that field had only been plowed with horses. My aunt stated that they picked 90 loads of rock off that 3 acre field every year they farmed which was around 40 years or so. That was with the old steel high wheel wagons with boards on it. So many rock she actually wore out her wedding ring on the palm side!
Not very fertile soil but good for food plots.
The front wheel assist and the power of that little diesel is great. You don't even know the plow is back there.
I would love to find a old three bottom 14 that Dearborn made--someday. Don't need it but does that matter?

Really nice rows and beautiful soil. Makes a moldboard perform. Loader empty or loaded? 4wd makes a difference doesn't it! My Branson is my first 4wd of any kind and I just didn't know what I was missing.

Down here Houston black clay is the name of the game; mush when wet, rocks when dry. You should have seen, naw better you didn't, my first attempt at plowing upon migrating from an urban to a rural citizen. Had a single bottom, no coulter, no offset wheel, Farmall B, and it was my first day in my farming class at Hard Knocks, U.. What a mess.

/ Plowing/compact tractors
It is a sandy/gravel loam/ and a lot of rock. I was in a good spot there. It had just rained so the soil was nice and moist. That little three acre field was my uncles until the 70's. He farmed with horses until he retired in the early 60's and until then that field had only been plowed with horses. My aunt stated that they picked 90 loads of rock off that 3 acre field every year they farmed which was around 40 years or so. That was with the old steel high wheel wagons with boards on it. So many rock she actually wore out her wedding ring on the palm side!
Not very fertile soil but good for food plots.
The front wheel assist and the power of that little diesel is great. You don't even know the plow is back there.
I would love to find a old three bottom 14 that Dearborn made--someday. Don't need it but does that matter?

/ Plowing/compact tractors #6  
Here is my Kubota L2800 with my Ferguson 2 X 12 plow. Those are not the original coulters. According to the manual they are supposed to be 15" (the old ones were worn down to about 11") and the closest I could get were 15.5". It seems I either plow when it's too wet or when it's too dry, but in the right conditions I can get down about 9 inches. At least I'm not plowing with a horse. That's from 1987, southern Italy, about halfway between the port city of Brindisi and the town of San Vito dei Normanni .
My rows aren't always straight either. I blame that on my graduated bifocals. The day after getting them I went to eat at a Mexican restaurant and every time I looked down at my plate the refried beans stretched to the left and right.
20151110_092959_zps1ceb5nwk.jpg 20151110_093029_001_zpseqs0sol7.jpg 2013-07-27_11-17-59_471cropped_zpsccdb58c7.jpg 20151018_141800_zpsaqyfyrud.jpg 20150325_154009-2_zpsq7b4f9dw.jpg 177FarminginSouthernItaly_zpsf49007cb.jpg

/ Plowing/compact tractors #7  
I'd give (almost) anything for dirt like that!

Around here, I doubt if my MX5100 could pull a single bottom that deep, if at all.