Front loader question .

/ Front loader question . #1  

GrayBeard

Gold Member
I've had my 7264 Cub since Sept. 03 and recently had it in to the Dlr. for some service/warranty work.
Part of the work included "adjusting the float" on the loader.
Prior to this, while using the hoe, I would set the tractor "up" by placing the bucket level on the ground and raise the front wheels off the ground.
When I got the tractor back, the loader would barely lift the front wheels ?
I called the Dlr. and he said their adjustments should have not effected the lift and in addition , with the bucket level it's hard to lift the front wheels.He said you need to "roll" the bucket. I'm sure it used to lift from the level position, quickly.
My question is,could anyone check out their loader (any kind) and let me know if I'm "dreaming" or not.
The check being, place the loader "flat" on a level surface and see if it will quickly lift the front wheels without rolling the bucket.
Many thanks,
GrayBeard

/ Front loader question . #2  
To install my 420 FEL on my JD 4210 requires using the FEL to lift the front wheels so the lock plate can be engaged. When I do this the bucket is level, and yes, I can also elevate the front wheels on frozen ground or a hard surface once the loader is attached. I have never tried rolling the bucket to see how much further the wheels will lift. Whatever, you are not dreaming.

/ Front loader question . #3  
Any loader/ tractor combination will be different, so getting a list of different models will be of no value.

Most likely you or someone had the bypass (check, relief, whatever you want to call it) valve set too high, and in running through all the adjustments the dealer reset this valve to factory specs.

I guess it's up to you now - setting it higher puts more stress on your machine than the factory feels it should have. Up to you if you want to do that to your machine, but don't complain if the hyd system starts leaking, pump wears out, front axle wears faster than normal, etc. Lots of people turn them up a bit. Whatever.

It is common for a loader to not quite to just barely pick up the front end with the loader arms - but no common ground as it depends on the loader & tractor specs & weight. It is common for the bucket curl arms to be able to raise the front end up. You will only get a couple inches of lift with most loader arms, and quite a bit of lift with the curl arms.

Now a big issue in your case: A backhoe is a huge counterweight behind the rear axle. Are you comparing apple to apples here? Did you have the backhoe on after you got the tractor back and tested it? That would make a huge difference.

--->Paul

/ Front loader question . #4  
Graybeard,
My Bushog loader easilly lifts the front wheels of my Cub off the ground.

/ Front loader question . #5  
Hi
with my bucket flat and level on my ford 1920 the cylinder rod is fully retracted when the bucket is about 3 inches below the bottom of the front tires so it can't lift the front off the ground. if you roll the bucket down then it will contact the ground and easily pick up the tractor. check the position of your cylinder rod to see if it is fully retracted in the down position.

charlie

/ Front loader question .
Thanks for the responses.
I know what my tractor used to do. (my dlr. almost had me convinced otherwise)
I still have about 2" of cyclinder left when bucket on the ground.
I even put 4" blocks under it and it still really labors to raise it a "fraction".
I think something is "amiss" with a bypass or relief. Also , it does not seem to have the "power" it had. (ie: breakout and loading.)
The problem he was correcting is , while the loader was in "float" it would pop out of that detent.
He got that solved .
GrayBeard

/ Front loader question . #7  
I agree with the others, Probably a relief valve was changed or adjusted. The only question is ... is it now set correctly per specifications. If it was too high before, the dealer should be within his rights and obligations to reset it to specs for safety and warranty reasons. However if it was adjusted too low or replaced and not checked he should make this right.