TC33DA hydro oil change, RED Fluid drained, this ok?

/ TC33DA hydro oil change, RED Fluid drained, this ok? #1  

paine

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case DX33 Farmall
I have owned the my LIKE NEW 1200 hour Case DX33 Farmall (same as TC33DA) for around a year now and I finally got around to changing the hydraulic oil. I spent the big dollars on the AMSOIL Synthetic tractor fluid and at right around $380 I want to make sure I don't have to do it again any time soon!

My worry is I just drained the fluid and it looks and smells just like red transmission fluid, I do no know when it was changed last and I do not know what the previous owner used in it. I have not changed it yet considering the hours and condition I just assumed that the previous owner took immaculate care or it both cosmetically and mechanically.

My question is is the NH134 fluid red?

I know that I will never get 100% of the old fluid out, and I do not want to mix the expensive AMSOIL with some crap old regally transmission fluid. I know that it is ok to use transmission fluid in some hydro systems but I don't think that it makes sense to mix that with this new fluid.

What would you do? Just use the Amsoil now or would you go buy some cheap tractor supply hydraulic fluid and do a flush by filling, running, draining again and then put the new synthetic fluid in?

/ TC33DA hydro oil change, RED Fluid drained, this ok?
Oh yeah and Happy Thanksgiving!! Don't eat too much that you fall asleep before giving me your advice!!

/ TC33DA hydro oil change, RED Fluid drained, this ok? #3  
Two possibilitys. One, Someone put ATF in it. Not good. As it is not rated for wet brakes. Or, better scenario someone used the proper fluid and put a little of that John Deere hydraulic fluid dye. One small bottle will treat the whole thing. The reason to treat is so the clear fluid can be seen on a dipstick.

/ TC33DA hydro oil change, RED Fluid drained, this ok? #4  
Should be able to tell by the smell of the oil. ATF has a very distinctive smell about it and yes ATF not suited for wet brakes.
either way just change the oil and if your worried about it, plan for a second change next season. Oil is cheaper than transmission rebuilds.

/ TC33DA hydro oil change, RED Fluid drained, this ok? #5  
Being a CaseIH chassis the red oil you have is the Case Hytran which is a blend coming from IH that has had some improvements since the original formula and is now called Ultra Hytran. The Hytran is a far higher grade of oil the then NH134 oil which is about equivlent to many generic brands. We have changed many NH chassis tractors to the Ultra with noticeable differences to the operation of the tractor transmission.. New Holland dealers also sell the hytran oil at this time and it is there better grade oil.
We have also used the Super UDT Kubota oil with excellent reports coming back as well, we also depending on customer demand switch to that with no issues.

/ TC33DA hydro oil change, RED Fluid drained, this ok? #6  
The newest NH hydraulic fluid is red. It is called Ambrosia or coming like that.

Being a CaseIH chassis the red oil you have is the Case Hytran which is a blend coming from IH that has had some improvements since the original formula and is now called Ultra Hytran. The Hytran is a far higher grade of oil the then NH134 oil which is about equivlent to many generic brands. We have changed many NH chassis tractors to the Ultra with noticeable differences to the operation of the tractor transmission.. New Holland dealers also sell the hytran oil at this time and it is there better grade oil.
We have also used the Super UDT Kubota oil with excellent reports coming back as well, we also depending on customer demand switch to that with no issues.

The newest NH hydraulic fluid is red. It is called Ambrosia or coming like that.

Son Of A Gun.. I went out today and tractor supply had some cheap hydraulic fluid on sale for $19/ 5 gallon bucket, I filled it up this morning and ran it for about 10 - 15 min to get the oil warm and then drained the cheap stuff out again.
I just filled it up with the Amsoil a few min ago but have not run the tractor yet as I changed the engine oil at the same time and I like to let the oil settle in the pan for a but before the initial start up .

Thanks for the info, I read it a little late but its good to know that I didn't have transmission fluid in it.

/ TC33DA hydro oil change, RED Fluid drained, this ok? #8  

That is Hytran Ultra! new holland and Case are one of the same for many things including the different labels! The oil you drained was a better oil then you rinsed with.

/ TC33DA hydro oil change, RED Fluid drained, this ok? #9  
That is Hytran Ultra! new holland and Case are one of the same for many things including the different labels! The oil you drained was a better oil then you rinsed with.

Hytran Ultra has been around for years and was recently replaced by Hytran Ultraction. Hytran Ultraction and New Holland Mastertran Ultraction are the same fluid with differing labels. This new oil (available for a couple years now) replaces Hytran Ultra and New Holland 134 in all but a very very few applications.

Yeah, that figures.. Just my luck. I should have just waited a little longer for you experts to respond!!! I did a good flush and now there is just a little of the el-cheap-o stuff in the system, the big dollar Amsoil should make up for that I hope! The manual had be looking all over for the front axel reduction gear fill port bolt, but it is just filled by the housing axel housing fill.

Last fluid I need to change now is the power steering, but I think I will order a filter since I am using a different fluid now. Does anyone actually change the power steering filter that is a combo as a reservoir ? The dang filter is over $100 when ordered online! Any other sources for the filter?