Ether option

/ Ether option #1  

mgraham112

Gold Member
Tractor
long 2460 - belarus 250 - JD 4230 - Kioti DK40SE
I was at the local jd dealer yesterday talking to the service manager about older tractors and so forth. He told me about a hot tip on firing up a tough starting tractor by using an oxygen tank rather than using starting fluid. I've never heard of this and I don't think it makes sense. He said that oxygen is much more flammable than ether and it works great. If it's much more flammable than wouldn't that increase the chance of blowing the engine up, plus no lubrication properties. Please chime in...

/ Ether option #2  
I know from my O/A torch experience you can start a fire just by squirting straight oxygen from the torch on some grease.
I don't think I would try it w/o a more knowledgeable recommendation and it sounds expensive compared to ether based starting fluid.

/ Ether option #4  
I have seen acetylene used to start spark engines. Maybe the oxygen's natural combustion with oil is helping the diesel combustion. Oxygen by itself is not flammable but with fuel watch out!

SimS

/ Ether option #5  
I've seen gasoline fumes used in the place of ether to start diesels. The ones without glow plugs, of course.

/ Ether option #6  
FYI:
Normally, air (that we & machines breath) is 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen. Plus some water vapor (depending).
It's only the oxygen that is used for combustion.
It would seem that using 100% oxygen is like packing in 5 times the amount of oxygen that is in normal air.

/ Ether option #7  
Oxygen does not burn, it is an oxidizer.
As previously stated if the O2 concentration is high enough . Oil will oxidize fast enough to beat up and burst into flame.
Combustion chamber heat will be higher than during combustion with atmospheric air.

/ Ether option #8  
I'd be worried about an increase in the oxygen in the cylinders causing it to ignite way prematurely and forcing a rather expensive kickback. I've seen that happen with just a foolish amount of advance being used by a fool who thought he knew how to "tune by ear"...blew the starter nose off and wrecked the bendix. It could cause a lot more damage than that, too.

/ Ether option #9  
Although I've never had an occasion to use it, my son in law, who used to be a U Haul mechanic, told me he uses brake cleaner for a starting fluid. He said it works better and he always has some around.

/ Ether option #10  
Hey, why not Nitrogen or Helium?!:confused2::eek: Or rocket fuel, or depleted Uranium?:shocked: