Ford 3000 Is this coolant in oil?

/ Ford 3000 Is this coolant in oil? #1  

jchewie

Tractor
Ford 3000
1973 Ford 3000 unknown total hours.

I have put about four hours of run time on this tractor since I purchased it.
It has a knock when warm.
I adjusted the valve clearance when cold, .015 intake, .019 exhaust.

The oil had been changed by the seller and was clean when I purchased it.

Picture 1: Last few drops after draining the oil landed just above and to the left of the catch pan hole. Fine white/silver in the dark oil? Ignore all the larger particles, none of that came out of the engine.
Picture 2: First pint out of the pan
Picture 3: Some of that on a clean lid. This looks "muddier" than any used gas or diesel oil I have ever seen.
Picture 4: Underside of the oil filter cap. The greenish goop wasn't there yesterday.

I have not ever dealt with coolant in oil or engine knock before.
Thoughts and opinions welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_20151205_155649.jpg
    IMG_20151205_155649.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 634
  • IMG_20151205_155921.jpg
    IMG_20151205_155921.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 2,324
  • IMG_20151205_155938.jpg
    IMG_20151205_155938.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_20151205_161028.jpg
    IMG_20151205_161028.jpg
    751 KB · Views: 856
   / Ford 3000 Is this coolant in oil? #2  
Milkshake looking oil can certainly be an indication of coolant leaking into the oil. What level is the radiator at?
Does it look like oil is getting into the coolant in the radiator too?

You should not have that color oil after only four hours of use on new oil and filter. Best change it out and run it, look for external leaks on block at head, run it with cap of radiator off, and see if when it comes to temp and the thermostat has opened does the fluid level continue to rise and then leak out the gooseneck where the cap goes?

Check oil level frequently to see if it's rising, after you've got it topped off to full mark on dipstick after the oil change is completed.

Report back results.

I believe you can get test strips to see if coolant is in the oil at a local auto store, Napa, etc.

/ Ford 3000 Is this coolant in oil? #3  
The first thing a friend I have that deals in used cars does is look at the bottom of the oil cap. If it looks like picture # 4, he doesn't look any farther.

/ Ford 3000 Is this coolant in oil?
... What level is the radiator at?
Does it look like oil is getting into the coolant in the radiator too?

Radiator was full but not overflowing, fluid at the top of the upper hose.
Coolant looks like standard green fluid, no oily film or blotches.

Oil level did not seem to rise but I will watch this.
There do not appear to be any external coolant or oil leaks.
Minimal exhaust condensation/smoke upon startup, clears up within a few minutes.

Thank you for the suggestion regarding the test strips. I'll check for those when I grab a new filter.

The first thing a friend I have that deals in used cars does is look at the bottom of the oil cap. If it looks like picture # 4, he doesn't look any farther.

That's a bad sign.

/ Ford 3000 Is this coolant in oil? #6  
That doesn't look like a lot of water. A lot will accumulate at the bottom of the oil pan and be drained first. It's usually quite visible in a coolant in oil leak. The water you're seeing could be from condensation if the tractor has been sitting a long time. It's normal for condensation to form after each use and long-term storage. Running will heat the oil enough to vaporize or burn-off condensed water.

/ Ford 3000 Is this coolant in oil? #7  
That doesn't look like a lot of water. A lot will accumulate at the bottom of the oil pan and be drained first. It's usually quite visible in a coolant in oil leak. The water you're seeing could be from condensation if the tractor has been sitting a long time. It's normal for condensation to form after each use and long-term storage. Running will heat the oil enough to vaporize or burn-off condensed water.

Yep. Good info right there.

I'd use the tractor closely monitoring fluid levels. But not so close that you paranoid about it. :)

The knock is something separate from this water in oil discussion.

There wasn't any water that drained first. The tractor had been used earlier in the day and had sat for a few hours before draining. There wasn't any noticeable water even in the first little bit that drained. It all looked like the pictures.

I think the knock is in the cam or valves. Minimal lifter noise at first, becomes a knock after warming up.
When I had the valve cover off to adjust lash, there was little in the way of grime or sludge.

Will run and keep the thread updated. Again I appreciate the input.

/ Ford 3000 Is this coolant in oil? #9  
Cams don't knock. Valves don't knock. Crank bearings knock. Rod bearings knock.

If you want to get technical, plumb an accurate oil pressure gauge into the system. A bad crank bearing will cause extremely low oil pressure at idle. A bad rod bearing will not affect oil pressure.