When to have underground utilities marked?

/ When to have underground utilities marked? #1  

kingranch03

Tractor
Kubota
Hi All,

Thinking about doing some tractor work for people asking for it but want to be cautious about digging on land I don't own and therefore don't know whats underground. Aside from all the other consideration I was curious to ask specifically what type of tractor work should a "customer" have underground utilities marked?

I assume anytime you dig with the backhoe say trenching, but what about when doing some box blade work, such as carving out a shallow (1' deep) diversion swale for example?

I am in a more rural area in Northern CA, where we are on wells and propane tanks, is it the land owners job to mark those lines? Similarly, who's responsibility is it to mark the power lines from the pole on the property - the land owner or the county/city?

For those of you doing this work professionally, do you take on the responsibility of calling the appropriate companies to have utilities marked or do you just tell the customer in the bidding stage that they need to have X,Y & Z marked before the work day?

Thanks in advance.

/ When to have underground utilities marked? #2  
Whether pro or homeowner call if you plan to dig. You will be responsible if you dig wrong. Doesn't matter who calls. If no flags don't dig.

/ When to have underground utilities marked? #4  
The only way to protect yourself is to call in a locate when you dig. In all cases I can think of it is the responsibility of the contractor to make the call. If the homeowner or a different contractor calls in the locates you still have to call in the locate to protect yourself. Most locates are good for two weeks, beyond that you need to call in again to renew it. There have been many a contractor put out of business because of not calling in for a locate, and all the utility companies can afford more lawyers than you can. Just do it.

/ When to have underground utilities marked? #5  
In IL either the contractor or the home owner can call in the locate. I the land owner does it but isn't doing the work himself he has to list the contractor on the locate request. I do the locate call ins for my nephews stump removal business. I just file them online at the IL one call website. You will have something different in CA but should be similar.

They won't locate any customer installed utilities like water, sewer, or electric like to an out building. The utility will locate up to the gas meter, or electric meter, phone line normally to the residence, etc. Some utilities can be buried very shallow, like 2-4 inches in some cases for phone/cable, or gas in some cases.

/ When to have underground utilities marked?
Thanks all - it sounds like if you are going to go below the surface, regardless of depth, have it flagged.

/ When to have underground utilities marked? #7  
If you hit a utility that's only an inch deep and did not call for utility marking, the repair cost will be on you.

/ When to have underground utilities marked? #8  
Call EVERY time .

/ When to have underground utilities marked? #9  
Call EVERY time .

Technically, any time you break the surface of the earth, even on your own property. Lot of phone lines have been cut putting in mail boxes, sign posts, and fence posts. 811 is free, but might require you to white line the area you will be working in. Shovel, post hole digger ect account for roughly 50% of utility damages (by number, not dollar amounts)

As to when to call, they have two working days after you call. So, call Monday, means they have all day Tuesday and Wednesday to mark, and you should be ready to go on Thursday. Always make sure your ticket is 'clear' because some utilities might mark a special code such as "can't access" "need white lined" "high priority, must meet in field" ect.

Edit: if you cut anything, you figure best case is $500, and I've been walking next to a machine that mixed a $97,000 line.

/ When to have underground utilities marked? #10  
Each state has different Laws and regulations concerning these locates. Look in the front of your local Telephone book and read about the locate requirements. They are published there in most municipalities as a consumer protection service. These rules are based on LAWS that have made an example of many contractors. When you call 811 in most areas they will give you a Locate Number and the Legal dig start time when your request will be valid! honor the time before starting work, but as a repairman for AT&T, I can tell you that the locate companies can be very slack. also when you make your 811 call, ask what the locate tolerance is for your area. In NC for example, the law says 30 inches each side of the marks, other areas may have different specifications. Knowledge of the laws can be very valuable. I have billed the Locators many times for missing the lines by 32 inches. They paid instead of the digging contractor! A camera is a Wonderful tool when used with a Tape measure, if you do accidentally hit something that is outside of the prescribed distance from the utility marks. A smart Phone is an even better camera, because it embeds the gps data as well as the day/date into the picture, and has been proved to be admissible as proof in most courts!