Diesel engine with a miss.

/ Diesel engine with a miss. #1  

ch1ch2

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH 584, NH TC33DA, NH TN95A
I have an old JD. While driving it yesterday, it sounded like it had a miss, it seemed to have more vibration than usual.
I have not had it long so Ido not know much about it.
I was thinking if a diesel has a miss it can only be 1 of 3 things. A burnt piston, a burnt valve, or a fuel injection problem. Am I correct?

A burnt piston would increase crankcase pressure. A burnt valve would increase back exhaust. Neither are obvious. So it is an injector problem?

What am I missing.

/ Diesel engine with a miss. #2  
I would start with the injector. Maybe some fuel additive to clean it.

/ Diesel engine with a miss. #3  
I would start with a compression test if that is even possible on your tractor.

/ Diesel engine with a miss. #4  
If you have not had it long, check for wet spots on any of the injector lines all the way to the injectors. Someone could have cracked a line open to bleed air out at some point and not tightened it back up. I have an old 3 cyl J.D. 2240, and throwing in a new set of injectors does not cost much if the tractor is worth saving. You can pull the old injectors out and have them tested, too. Cost me less than $100 for a set on Ebay.

/ Diesel engine with a miss. #5  
Do the easy thing first, since you do not have evidence of mechanical damage. Do you know if any work was recently done on it?

Air in one of the injector lines will make it miss. And you need to find out what cylinder it is. So when running, crack one injector line at a time at the injector. Just crack it and see what happens. The missing cylinder will cause no change in sound. A good cylinder will also miss and the engine will sound worse. Also, cracking the lines bleeds air out, so on the missing one, see if you are getting any fuel and give it a chance to purge any air. See any bubbles compared to the rest? Then tighten the nut and see if that cylinder picks up or not.

Air problems can that cause missing can be as simple as a clogged fuel filter, a partially closed fuel supply valve, a vacuum leak in the fuel lines or a cracked dip tube in the tank. Lots of older diesels have poor air management in the fuel and can't tolerate any air without problems.

If it is not an air problem and you are getting fuel delivered to all cylinders, then look for compression problems. It's likely that if it's compression it will miss when idling, and maybe not when working. If it won't hit at all you will easily see other signs like extreme blowby, erratic exhaust sound or puffing smoke.

When it's running, but missing, look at the exhaust for smoke. If the injector tip is broken off or the injector is not atomizing, you should see black puffing smoke and it will miss at light loads. A a bad injector can act like a bad exhaust valve.

None of that? Pull the valve cover and roll the engine over to TDC, compression/power, on each cylinder, and check valve lash and the general condition of the valve train. If all that looks good, roll the engine through intake and exhaust on each cylinder to check for valve movements. This can locate a flat cam or bad pushrod.

Do all of this, or at least everything related to fuel delivery, BEFORE a compression test, unless you have a very convenient compression gauge set up for your engine. When the injectors are out inspect the tips. Do the all look the same? Do they look burned? You can even to a casual pop test and atomization test by reconnecting the lines and rolling the engine over, with the injectors out of the engine. Just try to do it without bending the injection lines. Do all of the "clouds" look the same and "pop"to start? Is one dribbling?

Finally, please don't use ether, or at least know how to use it correctly if you must use it. It is perfectly capable of damaging pistons and causing compression problems that get worse and worse. Ether would be better named "engine death".

All of this assumes you want to play with it yourself because you could just trailer it to the dealer.

Last edited:
   / Diesel engine with a miss.
Thanks everyone!
All of you have given me good places to start. I should have looked at these things within 3 weeks. With Christmas coming it will take longer.
Again Thanks and Merry Christmas.

/ Diesel engine with a miss. #7  
ULSD (the fuel you get now) is very hard on injector pintles on older engines that were designed to run diesel with a higher sulfur content (which is why I recommend a diesel additive like Caterpillar Additive. It provides the lubrication that ULSD lacks. ULSD is also hard on mechanical pumps. Blame it on the tree huggers.

Sounds to me like you dropped an injector pintle.

/ Diesel engine with a miss. #8  
ULSD (the fuel you get now) is very hard on injector pintles on older engines that were designed to run diesel with a higher sulfur content (which is why I recommend a diesel additive like Caterpillar Additive. It provides the lubrication that ULSD lacks. ULSD is also hard on mechanical pumps. Blame it on the tree huggers.

Sounds to me like you dropped an injector pintle.

I see. Since you hate "tree huggers", they must be to blame for his undiagnosed problem. Interesting logic stream. How 'bout we find out what his engine problem is and skip the political diatribe?

/ Diesel engine with a miss. #9  
I see. Since you hate "tree huggers", they must be to blame for his undiagnosed problem. Interesting logic stream. How 'bout we find out what his engine problem is and skip the political diatribe?

Oh snap! Yes, agreed though!

/ Diesel engine with a miss. #10  

Show me where I said 'I hate tree huggers'???? You must however because you read that into my statement.... I simply said blame it on the tree huggers. Nothing more. if it wasn't for tree huggers you would still be using tetra-ethyl gasoline and diesel with sulfur (lubricant) in it...... sheeesh.