Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer

/ Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
By accident, I discovered that by getting my batteries up to full charge before winter they seem to last much longer than they would otherwise. I always fully charge them around this time of year. I'm sure it has to do with preventing the cold from damaging things but I never figured the results would be this dramatic.

My B7800 Kubota battery is either 10 or 11 years old and still works fine. Same thing with a Deere 5520 and 9 years. Last year I replaced the battery in my 2005 Tundra for no reason other than age. I kept the battery to power my fuel pump and and it's still going strong for that and more. And there have been others. Even my two year lawn mower battery is in it's third year and I figure this will be it's last since I never had one go more than two years. Prior to this charging thing, I got nowhere near this level of usage.

I always buy the best battery I can find and usually get them at Sam's Club or mail order so I'm sure that helps. Sealed batteries are my first choice and I have switched to Optima batteries when I can.

For what it's worth.

/ Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer #2  
I keep any of my equipment that will be sitting for more than a day or 2 hooked up to battery tenders. They have the pigtail that remains attached to the battery so hookup and disconnecting is really quick. I started when I was overseas for extended periods but since I bought 6 of them, I continue to put them to good use. I do agree with you, it makes a big difference.

/ Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer #3  
I agree that if you are willing to spend the time and effort to provide lots of maintenance you can extend the battery life. I find it to work better for me to replace the batteries that can't hold a charge in between uses. At one point I had about 30 batteries to maintain in vehicles and equipment, keeping all of these on a trickle charger was out of the question for me. After downsizing I still have about twenty to keep up with and really don't want to spend all my time trying to save them. I keep a charger handy and do try to keep some things I don't use as often charged up such as my gas driven welder, gas air compressor but most of the vehicles and tractors get used enough not to be an issue.

I built a custom set of jumper cables about 35 years ago that are worth mentioning. Used heavy duty nickel clamps and 20' of 3/0 welding lead for each cable. These jumpers are still in excellent condition and have been used for the most part to start other peoples vehicles.

/ Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer #4  
I built a custom set of jumper cables about 35 years ago that are worth mentioning. Used heavy duty nickel clamps and 20' of 3/0 welding lead for each cable. These jumpers are still in excellent condition and have been used for the most part to start other peoples vehicles.

You got a great set of jumpers there Steve. 20 footers can come in handy especially around equipment. But what you did made me chuckle a little because a lot of people do just the opposite - They try to use jumper cables to make a cheap set of welding cables. It sort of works but not nearly as well as what you did.

gg

/ Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer #5  
Blackdog2086:

I have 14 "Battery Tenders" on my stuff stored up North, for the winter.
I am a BIG believer in these "maintenance" type chargers.

What is the significance of the black dog picture, with the blue angels(?) aircraft in the background?

/ Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer #6  
You got a great set of jumpers there Steve. 20 footers can come in handy especially around equipment. But what you did made me chuckle a little because a lot of people do just the opposite

Thanks Gordon, I am glad I already have them because it would cost a bunch to build them today. When I was younger I had more heavy equipment but less money. Always needed more batteries than I could afford.:laughing:

/ Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer #7  
I built a custom set of jumper cables about 35 years ago that are worth mentioning. Used heavy duty nickel clamps and 20' of 3/0 welding lead for each cable. These jumpers are still in excellent condition and have been used for the most part to start other peoples vehicles.[/QUOTE]
Wow 3/0 welding cables for jumpers is quite a bit of overkill, even 2/0 is much more than needed. I bet they are a bear to handle due to weight and stiffness.
The best jumpers I ever had (prior to them being stolen) was a set I made from Postweld Heat Treating cables. These were 1/0 cables with a really flexible wire and insulation, much more flexible than regular welding cable. I put the heaviest clamps on them that were available and made them 30 feet long. This was long enough so that I could pull up behind a car and jump them rather than getting nose to nose. I sure wish I had those today.

/ Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer #8  
Deltran "Battery Tenders" are NOT trickle chargers and will keep a battery charged and in a condition that will allow them to take and hold a charge for many years. Trickle charges can actually damage a battery by over charging. I also think that we enjoy a better battery build quality now than we did in the past; not very many products I can say that about.

prs

/ Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer #9  
Deltran "Battery Tenders" are NOT trickle chargers and will keep a battery charged and in a condition that will allow them to take and hold a charge for many years. Trickle charges can actually damage a battery by over charging. I also think that we enjoy a better battery build quality now than we did in the past; not very many products I can say that about.

prs

True and I should correct the terminology. I use a 3 stage 3 bank marine charger with a 30 amp maximum output for my batteries. Don't own any trickle chargers or "battery tenders" it is not because I am against a good maintainer I just have too many things to keep plugged in all the time. Not every thing is close enough to an outlet to plug in.

/ Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer #10  

prs

True and I should correct the terminology. I use a 3 stage 3 bank marine charger with a 30 amp maximum output for my batteries. Don't own any trickle chargers or "battery tenders" it is not because I am against a good maintainer I just have too many things to keep plugged in all the time. Not every thing is close enough to an outlet to plug in.