Shuttle shift - What is it?

/ Shuttle shift - What is it? #1  

Bucky4

Silver Member
Tractor
'03 L3130, '06 BX24, '11 RTV1100
Yea, this is a real newbie question. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Can someone please explain the shuttle shift transmission? What is synchro shuttle? Glide shift shuttle? ...and any other types that may be out there!!!

What the difference between this and the gear type?

Any advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks,

bucky4

/ Shuttle shift - What is it? #2  
A sync shift means you can go through all of the gears in that range without stopping. It's kinda like driving a manual trans on a car. Usually, your speed range gears are collar shift, meaning you need to stop because the gears aren't in constant mesh. Glide shift is a Kubota exclusive (someone correct me if I am wrong): It's got all of the forward gears (say 8 for argument's sake) in sync, so you can go through them all by clutching and not stopping. Shuttle shift (I think) means every forward gear has a reciprocal reverse gear, like 8x8, 12x12, etc. It's supposed to be a good loader trans.

/ Shuttle shift - What is it? #3  
By the way, transmission choice nowadays is mostly personal preference. I like gear drives just because they are what I grew up with and I like them. Hydros are just as good, but it's too weird for me to have the brakes on the left. Try some and see what feels most natural.

/ Shuttle shift - What is it? #4  
Bucky4
In the Kubota Grand L30 series tractors, there are two choices of shuttle transmissions. In the DT, you have an 8X8 (1 through 4, 5 through 8 with low/high range) with the shuttle on the steering column. You can shift on the fly within ranges and shuttle forward and backward by using the clutch. In the GST, you have an 12X8 (12 speeds forward, 8 reverse) with shuttle on the steering column. You can shift up or down and shuttle forward and backward without clutching. Most of the time it seems when people think of gear transmissions, they are referring to non-synchronized transmissions where you must clutch and come to a stop to shift gears or ranges. Hope this helps.
Lewis

/ Shuttle shift - What is it?
To All,

Thanks for the posts, so far. I read them through three times just so I could beat the concept into my brain. I thought I understood until I found this technical spec on the Kioti LK3045XS site. Here's what it says...

Transmission
Transmission Type Manual
Shuttle Mechanical
Main Gear Synchronized

From what I've read on other threads, the shuttle shift is not synchronized. If that's true, then what does the spec mean? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Also, if a GST doesn't require a clutch to shift between any gear or Fwd/Rev, why is there a clutch on the darn tractor?!?! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

bucky4

/ Shuttle shift - What is it? #6  
I don't have the glide shift but I think you still have to clutch when you change from hi to lo or lo to hi range.

Jeff

/ Shuttle shift - What is it? #7  
You are getting into registered names of several slightly different trannies - and of course each manufaturerer makes the 'best' one...

There is a manual tranny. Need a clutch each time. The gears clatter a little when you shift. Better to be standing still between shifts. (Don't have to with practice tho...)

There is manual tranny with a meshing component that lets you shift (with clutch needed) between gears without the clatter. Can shift while rolling, but need the clutch.

There are trannies that allow you to shuttle between a forward & matching reverse gear without a clutch, but you need to clutch to change to a different forward or reverse gear - used for loaders.

There are trannies with different ranges where you need to use the clutch between the major ranges, but you can shift between different gears within a range without the clutch.

There are trannies that offer a hi/lo option in each gear, which does not need the clutch, but shifting between the regular gears requires the clutch.

And there are total powershift trannies where you can use the clutch if you want to, or you don't have to, just flick your wrist through the gears until you get to where you want to be - and back down again.

Then there are the hydro trannies.

Exactly what brand name means which tranny is a mystery to me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ford came out with one of the earliest powershifts in the '50s on the SoS trannies, they made the clutch pedal real small and called it an 'inching pedal' you used to hook up machinery, were just supposed to shift up & down otherwise.

--->Paul

/ Shuttle shift - What is it?
Holy Toledo!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'm more confused now, than before!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

...but thank you for that wonderful explanation. At least I now know I'm dealing with multiple shuttle shift trannies with distinct features. I will NOT assume I know what the salesman is talking about when he casually mentions shuttle shift. I'll just have to make sure he goes further in the explanation!

/ Shuttle shift - What is it? #9  
   / Shuttle shift - What is it? #10  
Hey Bucky, you're close to Henro. I think he's got one of each transmission style in his various tractors. Maybe he'll let you demo some /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif