Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees?

/ Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees? #1  

williaty

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 1023e
We've been given a dozen balled 7' tall Norway Spruce and something else I haven't identified. Wrestling them off the trailer is going to be work enough but I have no idea how to get them all in the ground in a way that won't kill me trying (due to my back problems, etc). I don't have the back hoe for the tractor (1023e) but I do have the FEL. Is there anything else I can use to dig the holes or at least help me in some way that'll make the actual shoveling work less hard on me?

/ Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees? #2  
Go pay the neighbors kid to do it. Do you have a 3 point post hole digger? Unless you want to dig a huge hole the FEL isn't much help. You could get a tree spade or something more useful like a stump bucket, but that isn't very cost effective. Don't feel too lazy. I used the backhoe to plant trees, and I don't have a bad back.

/ Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees? #3  
I agree that hiring the labor might be a good solution. Also renting a skidsteer with a tree shrub auger for half a day is another option. Make the holes and return it quick.

/ Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees? #4  
I agree that hiring the labor might be a good solution.

---- X2 ----

If you decide to do the work yourself, buy a new spade after carefully comparing the universe of spades available. The difference between a good spade (fiberglass handle, ample foot purchase, sharp blade, quality steel, good weight) and a bad shovel is considerable.

Last edited:
   / Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees? #5  
I'd think long and hard about whether I really wanted those trees. Then I'd probably run an ad on Craigslist.

/ Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees? #6  
If you don't have a post hole digger get a potato plow. Just come at the hole from 3 or 4 different directions, it will at least break up the soil and move some out of the way. Ed

/ Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees? #7  
A buddy of mine who planted 20-25 balled tree's invested in a 36" auger for his PHD. Made pretty quick work of it. You might consider, as mentioned renting a skid steer with one, or a local landscape contractor to drill the holes. They may cut you a pretty good deal, with just needing to drill holes, and not plant the trees.

/ Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees? #8  
You can use a single-shank subsoiler to create an "X" in the ground where the tree gets planted at the intersection of the lines. Use a spade to clean out the hole for the tree roots. This method opens up the soil for roots.

/ Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees? #9  
I would think with 7FT tall trees the rental of a small backhoe would be in order and mush less frustrating than any other method. I have seen people try planting larger trees without, using everything from box blades in combination with the loader to drilling multiple holes close to each other with an auger to losen up enough soil to be able to clear it with the loader right down to the Tree spade and all in varied type soils. With any larger root ball the backhoe will be the simplest and the quickest method making for the least amount of physical labor.

/ Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees? #10  
Without knowing what attachments you have, and what your soil is like, its hard to advise.
A large diameter post hole digger works
Stump bucket
Rear blade that has tilt
Plow
3ph scoop

If soil aint bad, digging isnt hard with a shovel.

If soil IS that bad, you may want to consider using the FEL to dig a larger hole and loosen things up before you plant the tree. Then backfill with the loosened material So the roots have a better chance to grow out