Possible danger of tractor side exhaust

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust
It'll be more fun running the tractor. When I ran my Ford 1210 (with the horizontal muffler that discharged out the front) the exhaust smell was pretty strong much of the time. The muffler finally developed enough leaks that it was time to replace it. I couldn't locate an exact replacement, so I re-plumbed it with a Cherry Bomb muffler from Advance Auto. The new exhaust shoots straight up and is topped off with a TSC flapper cap. I can't even smell the exhaust now.

It's difficult to avoid making a carbon footprint, but with the upright exhaust at least the carbon footprint in my lungs is smaller:)

It seems i'm going to have to fabricate something myself as Mahindra appears not to have an "upswept" exhaust option for this tractor. I swore they did unless they offered it on an earlier 15 series.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #12  
Honestly, it just doesn't bother me. There's a wee bit of fumes when I fire up the tractor and then practically nothing noticeable afterwards. The tractor lives in an open-front shed and it's not a factor out 'in the field'.

After having served on a diesel-electric submarine, where the fumes get into the pours of your skin (it would take at least 3 showers, once we got ashore, to finally clean it out) I figure if anything was going to happen, it would've by now.

And no, we didn't shower whilst at sea on those boats due to lack of fresh water. Only the cook had to shower daily. Good times... :rolleyes:

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #13  
I for one like the low exhaust. I took the tall pipe off my B7100 and ran it down the side. Getting slapped in the face by tree limbs pushed forward by the exhaust stack is more hazardous then breathing a little diesel smoke IMO. My tractor really only blows a noticeable amount of smoke when lugged.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #14  
I for one like the low exhaust. I took the tall pipe off my B7100 and ran it down the side. Getting slapped in the face by tree limbs pushed forward by the exhaust stack is more hazardous then breathing a little diesel smoke IMO. My tractor really only blows a noticeable amount of smoke when lugged.
I'm with you.
My last tractor had the vertical exhaust. Always snapping tree limbs in my face.
I prefer the low exhaust on my current machine.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #15  
Ditto on the low rider exhaust. Unless one has a cabbed tractor, breathing some exhaust is always a factor, until they make a exhaustless tractor/diesel. Maybe we should ask VW about how to do it?!:shocked:

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #16  
Ditto on the low rider exhaust. Unless one has a cabbed tractor, breathing some exhaust is always a factor, until they make a exhaustless tractor/diesel. Maybe we should ask VW about how to do it?!:shocked:
Unless you install high dollar filters in your cab tractor you are still going to breathe some exhaust.

Never mentioned the possibility of not breathing in "some" exhaust. It is not a plausible excuse to me as it is the amount of exhaust one is breathing in that matters. I feel it better not to have an exhaust routed where more fumes than not are coming at the operator. Also, I'd rather have a million branches slap my face than the possibility of lung cancer. At least I can wear my loggers helmet with a face guard whilst driving the tractor in the woods.

I didn't post this to understand how one is not bothered by side exhaust. Breathe in as much as you like. If you happen to own a tractor whose side exhaust is in such a configuration that pushes the exhaust away better than some other tractors, more power to ya. I made this post on an observation to bring to light the "possible" danger associated with an exhaust close to the proximity of the operator. As of late, every time I use this tractor, I feel an irritation in my upper respirators that I could not explain or even pin point until I saw what was happening. Apparently, that black soot building up on the boom has found it's way to me as well.

Last edited:
   / Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #18  
One of those million branches will put your eye out. I will take the very very very extremely small chance of lung cancer over being blind. There are tons of ways to get hurt on a tractor and lung cancer just isn't one of them. Have you ever heard of a single confirmed case of lung cancer that occurred with normal operation of a tractor? Yeah, me neither.

One of those million branches will put your eye out. I will take the very very very extremely small chance of lung cancer over being blind. There are tons of ways to get hurt on a tractor and lung cancer just isn't one of them. Have you ever heard of a single confirmed case of lung cancer that occurred with normal operation of a tractor? Yeah, me neither.

First, wear a face mask when in the woods, secondly, many cases of lung cancer go unexplained. and thirdly, I can give a rats tail about causative "statistics". Everyone is different. We never heard of lung cancer being caused by radon either but people were still getting it simply because they lived in their house. Didn't mean a cause didn't exist because they didn't ascertain it yet.

Fourthly, how the **** did this turn into an "argument"? I pointed out an observation creating a "possibility". Do whatever the **** you want with it.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #20  
You can wear a respirator just as easily as wearing a face shield. You do whatever the **** you want with it, but there is a good reason why almost every current manufacturer uses the low exhaust.