trying to save some $$ on tire chains

/ trying to save some $$ on tire chains
The Laclede website has a bunch of great information. Thanks for the recommendation. I have R-4's too so I'm thinking 2 link would be better than 4 link right? Craigslist is pretty thin on tractor chains around here. Has been for the 6 months I've been looking. But lots of heavy truck chains so maybe modifying a set (or 2 sets) might be an option.

Ed and Vince, sorry! I just figured that part out...:laughing:

/ trying to save some $$ on tire chains #13  
I grab used truck chains whenever I find them and have made a couple sets of tire chains over the years. Most times you can get them for $20 or less. We have a lot of loggers around here and they all use truck chains so old sets are common.

/ trying to save some $$ on tire chains #14  
If you can find a set of doubles ( truck chains) you'll have plenty of good side rail and cross links to make a good set of chains. Using them I made up a set for my last tractor, the 580 backhoe & my forklift.

If you can find a set of doubles ( truck chains) you'll have plenty of good side rail and cross links to make a good set of chains. Using them I made up a set for my last tractor, the 580 backhoe & my forklift.
Kindof what I am thinking now too. Around here it's starting to look like it may even be a moot point this season. (Jinx) I may take my chances, buy the 33" tool from tirechain.com, and keep trolling CL. Also, auction season will be here soon too.

/ trying to save some $$ on tire chains #17  
IIRC, truck chains are 5/16" and tractor chains are 3/8"...........usually........?

/ trying to save some $$ on tire chains #18  
My older JD855 has 33-12.5x15 turfs.. I lucked out and found a set of JD (it said JD on the bag) 2 link ladder chains on sale (summer time)....

I think the problem most often encountered when trying to convert/recycle truck chains, is finding chains wide enough.. If they are wide enough, then length is usually a problem.. Length seems the issue more easily overcome..
One or the other of these problems seems to be encountered by most everyone who tries this in my area of the frozen north..
But imagination and ability can make things work..

Good luck..