trying to save some $$ on tire chains

/ trying to save some $$ on tire chains #1  

onelostdogg

Silver Member
Tractor
EX3200
Hi all. Looking for rear chains for 15-19.5 tires. I've read a LOT that truck chains are much cheaper than tractor chains- so I measured. Height of tire is 35". Width at tread 14.5". Rim 19.5". Would a truck chain for 14.5/35" work? $110 per pair vs. $225/pair. If they would fit, is it worth a try? These are square-link boron chains.

/ trying to save some $$ on tire chains #2  
I don't know the answer to your question but check the price at tirechains.com. My chains were less than 1/2 of the price I could get local. Ed

/ trying to save some $$ on tire chains #3  
I don't know the answer to your question but check the price at tirechains.com. My chains were less than 1/2 of the price I could get local. Ed

I aggree, check them out.

/ trying to save some $$ on tire chains #4  
I'm not sure of the reason you need the chains, hilly, icy or snow too deep. If you go cheap and they don't work you have to buy the tractor chains and you are out the cost of both sets. If you buy the right chains the first time you are saving money. Some things, like safety, don't have a price tag. That being said a neighbor of mine uses truck chains on his front tires and tractor chains on his rears and it has worked well for him for the 7-8 years he has had his tractor.

/ trying to save some $$ on tire chains #5  
If you check out a tire chain company, like Laclede, you'll find charts showing the length of the side links and cross links for their various types. You should be able to figure out how long you will need by measuring your tires, and doing a little math, and start looking for something that will work. It is not too hard to shorten side links, or even cross links, with a vise and some prying tools. One important factor is what type of tires? If you have R-1 or R-4, whatever chains you get will have to have cross links that ride above the tire's lugs to be useful. I don't recall tire chain nomenclature, but a little research will make you an informed consumer.

I ran across a former Kubota dealership owner who had a stash of Laclede chains, and scored a great set for $100 ($300+ otherwise) so deals are out there. Craig's list was where I found him.

P1010762.jpg

/ trying to save some $$ on tire chains #6  
I paid $300 for these delivered with heavy side rails and cross links every other link. All my roads are steep so I don't want much space between the cross links. With anything other than turf tires you need H pattern or a different still of chains.

/ trying to save some $$ on tire chains #7  
I paid $300 for these delivered with heavy side rails and cross links every other link. All my roads are steep so I don't want much space between the cross links. With anything other than turf tires you need H pattern or a different still of chains.

I have the same style of chains on my Industerial tires and they work fine. Ed