Tires WHY do tires go FLAT every winter?

/ WHY do tires go FLAT every winter? #1  

Bob_Skurka

I simple don't get it.

Every year the tires on my tow behind chipper go flat. Every year at least one tire of my tiller goes flat. Every year the tires on my small utility trailer go flat. They are stored in an unhead garage.

Is there some way to prevent this from happening?

/ WHY do tires go FLAT every winter? #2  
actually, my sons 4 wheeler tires went flat constantly until this winters long cold snap, now they appear to be holding air just fine...go figure

have you tried the liquid tire "slime" that you squirt into the tires?...just a thought

/ WHY do tires go FLAT every winter? #3  
<font color="blue"> I simple don't get it.

Every year the tires on my tow behind chipper go flat. Every year at least one tire of my tiller goes flat. Every year the tires on my small utility trailer go flat. They are stored in an unhead garage.

Is there some way to prevent this from happening? </font>

Bob, you forgot to put change over to winter air. I'll have Junkman explain it all to you... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ WHY do tires go FLAT every winter? #4  
I had the same thing happening until I started parking the equipment away from each other . Turns out they were talking to each other at night and causing me fits ! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Big Al

/ WHY do tires go FLAT every winter? #5  
Why do tires go flat? because they can. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bob most any liquid tire sealant will eliminate that annoying little problem for you. I see even Harbor Freight now carries Slime in LARGE bottles. Putting this stuff in my kids bicycle tires is what initially sold me on this stuff.

/ WHY do tires go FLAT every winter? #6  
That used to happen to our iragation gun reel until we started to jack it up off the ground to release the weight off the tires. That may work for you if they are not in service year around.

/ WHY do tires go FLAT every winter? #7  
Are they flat on only the bottom or the top and bottom? If it is only the bottom, then just turn them over. It might be your just not giving them enough attention. You need to go out and talk to them. Let them know that you appreciate them and make them feel wanted. How would you feel if the "old lady" left you out in the cold? After all, you are there "old man". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ WHY do tires go FLAT every winter?
My wife only lets me visit this site because there is USEFUL information here that actually HELPS with the chorese around the house.

She is now beginning to wonder if I should spend time looking at **** instead of spending so much of my time on TBN. I think her logic is **** would only last a couple of minutes.

/ WHY do tires go FLAT every winter? #10  
Losing air pressure in cold weather is the norm. Air contracts as it cools (as does everything else except water when it freezes).
Every tire I've ever worked with (including Military aircraft tires on the ramp) loses a certain amount of pressure. As the season transitions from warmer weather to colder weather, you'll see this phenomenom. You'll probably need to adjust pressures until the temperatures are down for the season.

Just add pressure with your compressor. Another thing is to keep an eye on your valve cores. They need replacing every now and then.