Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1635

Default Using a dual blade grader on frozen gravel

I am awaiting delivery on a new Grade-Max (dual blade grader) attachment for my 3 point. I have attached a picture the manufacturer sent me prior to shipment. I plan on using it for maintenance of my gravel driveway which is about 1200ft with a pretty good slope and a few twists and turns. Does anyone know if using it on frozen gravel will do any harm to the grader. I asked the manufacturer and he is from Mississippi and has never tried it on frozen gravel. It will kill me not to try this thing once it's delivered, on the other had I don't want to damage it.
    Any advice?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Using a dual blade grader on frozen gravel-img_0852b-jpg  

Tractor
    Kubota L2501

Default Re: Using a dual blade grader on frozen gravel

It won't hurt your grader. If anything, it will just bounce over the frozen stuff that won't move.

Tractor
    Kubota M6040

If your driveway is really frozen hard - probably two thing will happen. 1)The grading scraper will probably just skim over the gravel and not do much and 2)it probably will do no damage to the unit. However - it might also dislodge large frozen globs and make a mess of things. Go lightly.
    Ride hard or sit your butt on the porch

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

I agree with Citydude, no harm to the grader as well as probably will not do anything other than bounce over the frozen drive. Enjoy it once your thawed out and the ground is just damp. The perfect time to be using the LPGS.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Tractor
    Kioti CK27 HST

I doubt the frozen gravel will hurt the blade..

I can say the first time I tried mine was with too wet road base which created a mess. The material would clump up in the box and not flow smoothly over the second blade. Not sue if that would be an issue for you with gravel, but something to consider.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3940

I think you'd be wasting your time, like grading a rock.
    This summer, I think you'll love it. Everyone who has one really likes it.

What size is it? How much was it?

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, x758, L130

I tried to grade my driveway entrance yesterday with my 1250 lb. box blade. Made about 8 passes trying to remove enough ice so that family could drive in and out. I was successful to a point but the lpgs would not have done anything.

I agree you won't hurt the new tool but you won't accomplish much either. When it thaws out you can get after it.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1635

Quote Originally Posted by ustmd View Post
    I doubt the frozen gravel will hurt the blade..

I can say the first time I tried mine was with too wet road base which created a mess. The material would clump up in the box and not flow smoothly over the second blade. Not sue if that would be an issue for you with gravel, but something to consider.
    It is a 6 footer. Could not handle anything bigger with my MF1635. Bought it from Rick Seal. His email is rseal@duragrader.com. Service was great, the turnaround time from order to shipping was fantastic.

Tractor
    Kubota B7510 and L3901

Except for paint color it would be hard to distinguish from my Armstrong. My L3901 is close in HP and weight to you 1635. I have my grader about 5 years. Agree it will probably slide along the ice. To be effective the ground material should be somewhat dry, otherwise it will just ball up and make a mess. When the ice is gone and the drive has had some drying time then go after it. Hard packed gravel will take multiple passes to begin to loosen up but after that the grader does a fantastic job.

Using the top link. Making the top link shorter will make the front blade cut more. Screw the top link out and the front blade will not cut as much and allow the back blade to grade. Extending the top link until the front blade is not cutting will let the back blade grade smooth. I generally run with the side rails making full contact front and back which gives me a smooth grade. I get a really good job when the front blade is just barely cutting.

Enjoy.
    Caution: Some of my posts may be politically incorrect.
    Kubota B7510 & L3901

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1635

Quote Originally Posted by wcampbell47 View Post
    Except for paint color it would be hard to distinguish from my Armstrong.
    Rick asked me what color I wanted, so I chose red to match my MF1635. He also added replaceable/reversible 3/8"skid shoes that you can shim for adjusting the cut depth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast