Chains Towing Ability & Tow Chains

/ Towing Ability & Tow Chains #11  
My vote is for the grade 70 chain.

A week or so ago when we had a lot of ice a young inexperienced UPS deliveryman made the mistake of driving the full length of my drive. No problem coming in to the house since it's downhill but no way could he get back out. He gave it his best and tried but eventually gave up and was going to call his supervisor. That's when I rolled out the TC-40D, hooked up my chain to the draw-bar and let him attach to a low point under his truck.

Used low range and pulled him, his truck, and all his packages right up the hill without breaking a sweat.

My experience with straps is that they can become easily damaged or cut on sharp surfaces. Try damaging a grade 70 chain the same way.

/ Towing Ability & Tow Chains #12  
"Try damaging a Gr 70 chain the same way"... Could not have said it better myself PineRidge. Don't get me wrong. I am not all against tow straps. I own a few myself. I just believe that certain jobs require certain tools. I don't drive nails with a rubber mallet and I don't shape tin with a framing hammer. What I have found that works good for me is use straps "on the asphalt" and use chains "on the trail" or "on the farm"
Dave

/ Towing Ability & Tow Chains #13  
Just beware of Grade 70 or better chain as if it does break under tension it wiil fly even more so then a lesser grade of chain.

Steve
Nova Scotia