Engine heater options

/ Engine heater options #1  

jd4310man

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar VIO27-3, New Holland LX885, John Deere 855 C.U.T.
I have a New Holland 455 Skid steer with a Kubota D1402 diesel engine. It has glow plugs, but with these frigid temps ( teens and single digits) its really hard to get going. The parts manual shows an external tank type heater that is plumbed into the water pump and the block. It is no longer available. I did see a similar type heater at tractor supply but am not sure where it would get hooked into the cooling system? Does anyone else have an external type heater on their engine and how well does it work? Here is a link to the original heater kit (L455) - SKID STEER LOADER (7/83-11/93) | Messick's (103A)

/ Engine heater options #2  
If I read the parts list correctly you can't buy the complete kit, but you can buy all the individual parts to make your own kit.

If you aren't already using synthetic oil, it can make a big difference in how quickly the engine turns over in very cold temps. Other than somewhat higher cost, there really isn't a downside to it in that sort of application.

Have you considered something like one of the Wolverine heaters that mounts on the bottom of the oil pan? They're not terribly expensive, and have a really good reputation.

Wolverine Heaters - The Most Trusted Engine Oil Heater For Cold-Weather Starts

/ Engine heater options #3  
What about one of the radiator hose heaters? Easy to install and relatively cheap

/ Engine heater options #4  
External tank heaters are all my dad ever had on his tractors. I had one on my old 73 Plymouth. Once at -56F, it started like it was only -20. :)
I seem to recall those being about 1500 watts. Was pretty standard from Napa back then.

/ Engine heater options #5  
Put a Kats heater in my lower radiator hose this past fall. I could kick myself for the wasted time incurred by not doing it years ago :rolleyes:

/ Engine heater options #6  
I'd have to go out in the barn to verify, but if I remember correctly the Kubota in my Bobcat S185 has a heater right at the front of the head, in a relatively easy spot to get to. Almost looks like a soft plug heater. Later on I'll take a look and see if I can get a pic.
We've had some near zero temps lately and after plugging this in for a time, the glow plugs don't even come on before starting.

/ Engine heater options #7  
I have a New Holland 455 Skid steer with a Kubota D1402 diesel engine. It has glow plugs, but with these frigid temps ( teens and single digits) its really hard to get going. The parts manual shows an external tank type heater that is plumbed into the water pump and the block. It is no longer available. I did see a similar type heater at tractor supply but am not sure where it would get hooked into the cooling system? Does anyone else have an external type heater on their engine and how well does it work? Here is a link to the original heater kit (L455) - SKID STEER LOADER (7/83-11/93) | Messick's (103A)

Hi JD4310man,
I have been successfully using circulation type heaters on my old International for over forty years although they seldom last longer than twenty years before replacement is necessary. I have mine plumbed between the radiator drain hole and the block drain hole. A hose barb, some 5/8" ID heater hose and the parts that come in the kit and you're all set. There are several other plumbing options if this one doesn't suit you or your skid steer (including, I think, the one you mentioned). I'll attach a link to a kit available in Canada but I'm sure you will have no problem finding the same or similar down in the States. They are available in several different wattages - I use 850 or 1,000 watts which provide sufficient heat to start my tractor easily on the coldest mornings.
Circulation Engine Heater | Canadian Tire

Last edited:
   / Engine heater options #8  
It never occurred to me to place it on rubber. I have attached Kats heaters to two metal spots and they work great. Did you have any concerns with that much concentrated heat being applied to the rubber hose?

/ Engine heater options #10  
Here's the heater located in the front of the head on the Kubota V2003 in my Bobcat. (or maybe it's the rear, according to application charts. I didn't look at orientation too closely):

IMG_0160_zpsggoyv8kk.jpg

For your D1402: Kubota Engine Block Heater Kit New Kubota Freeze Plug Heater Kubota Heater | eBay

Last edited: