Help - L2850 Battery Alert Light ON - Why

/ Help - L2850 Battery Alert Light ON - Why #1  

Popster

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2850, 8N
My L2850 battery alert light would come on after start-up, then flicker after a few minutes, then go out. The manual claims that this indicates low fluid level in the battery.

My nine year-old battery which was a cheap replacement battery that was installed in the tractor when I bought it finally died just before this snowstorm in the Mid-Atlantic. I replaced the battery.

The tractor starts instantly and runs great. Only problem is that the indicator light never goes dim or goes out.

I plan on taking a voltage reading with the tractor off and then with it running to see if the alternator is putting a charge into the battery. I have run the tractor at least 6 hours clearing the neighborhood driveways and loading firewood.

Anyone know what is going on with this light?

Note: The terminals are connected and there is an small wire going to the negative terminal.

Any help is appreciated!

/ Help - L2850 Battery Alert Light ON - Why
I've learned that there is a sensor that Kubota put in the #2 cell that monitored the electrolyte fluid level. There is a white small wire attached to the (EDIT) NEGATIVE terminal of the battery. With the old battery (not a Kubota) the light was out initially, then over time would be on for a bit, then dim, then go out. I learned that this is because electrolyte level got low. Now with new battery, the light is always on.

Any ideas?

Any ideas on how to jumper it off?

EDIT - The wire is to the negative terminal, NOT the positive

Last edited:
   / Help - L2850 Battery Alert Light ON - Why #3  
I've learned that there is a sensor that Kubota put in the #2 cell that monitored the electrolyte fluid level. There is a white small wire attached to the (EDIT) NEGATIVE terminal of the battery. With the old battery (not a Kubota) the light was out initially, then over time would be on for a bit, then dim, then go out. I learned that this is because electrolyte level got low. Now with new battery, the light is always on.

Any ideas?

Any ideas on how to jumper it off?

EDIT - The wire is to the negative terminal, NOT the positive

I have an l2850 with a non kubota battery, so no place for that kubota sensor. I have no wire but the ground strap going to the negative terminal. Try disconnecting that white wire and see if the light goes off. The air filter switch is similar- it grounds out to make the light come on.

/ Help - L2850 Battery Alert Light ON - Why #4  
Make sure your alternator is putting out enough... and the belt is tight