Digging a hole..?

/ Digging a hole..? #1  

hunt4570

Tractor
Grand L3540 ,724 loader, bucket, grapple and now forks also! And just for OP.. a pool!
So I'm having a concrete slab removed from an addition we tore off of the house. Expensive to have that concrete hauled off so I'm wanting to dig a hole to bury it. I've never tried to dig a hole with any of my tractors, but I'm sure it can be done, right?

I have a Kubota 3540 with the 724 loader, my soil is very sandy and easy to dig. Just a longish trench should work I'm thinking maybe 5 feet deep or something. Enough to lay the concrete in then cover it up when I'm done.

Whats the best way to go about this? What are the pitfalls to look out for?

Thanks.

/ Digging a hole..? #2  
In our city it would be against the law do this.
How big will the pieces be about?
Do you have low spot that collects water,or enforce banks?
5' feet should be more than enough,but length I would want long to spread concrete....not a pile.

/ Digging a hole..? #3  
We are in very rural area and buried concrete and asphalt is a major no-no.
They claim it is to protect the ground water table.
It is permitted to use crushed concrete as a road topping same as crushed stone would do.
In fact crushed concrete makes an excellent road base.

/ Digging a hole..? #4  
I had a very similar situation. I recommend putting an ad up on CL for free fill. You will find someone that needs it. I had a guy with a backhoe and dump truck take about 10 loads from my property. Wouldn't recommend burying it - not permitted in most areas.

/ Digging a hole..? #5  
Digging a hole with most tractors takes a while but can be done. Not very politically correct but after it is buried, who knows? It is a hunk of rock, not nuclear waste.

/ Digging a hole..?
Interesting, I never thought it would be a problem to bury it.

And then someone said to advertise it as fill on craigslist(I might try that) but isn't that just someone else burying it?

And I'm in the middle of nowhere and have 100 acres..

/ Digging a hole..? #7  
You should be fine at that depth. I have a backhoe and tend to dig my pits as deep as I can out in the middle of a pasture where I'm 100% sure I will never need to dig there again. I also have a SDS Max drill that does a fair job as a jack hammer and I like to use broken up concrete for filling ditches that are eroding. For slabs of concrete, I've also used them to line the banks of the creek where it's starting to erode into my land.

/ Digging a hole..?
You should be fine at that depth. I have a backhoe and tend to dig my pits as deep as I can out in the middle of a pasture where I'm 100% sure I will never need to dig there again. I also have a SDS Max drill that does a fair job as a jack hammer and I like to use broken up concrete for filling ditches that are eroding. For slabs of concrete, I've also used them to line the banks of the creek where it's starting to erode into my land.

My problem with using it as erosion control is where my erosion is, I cant get my tractor to it. Or I'd for sure be doing that..

/ Digging a hole..?
And why am I not getting notifications of these posts. I used to, and I've not changed any settings..

I just looked and it still says instant email notifications..

Hmmmm

/ Digging a hole..? #10  
I can understand politicos not wanting asphalt buried due to the very slight degree of leaching possible from it, but concrete. What contaminates would that consist of AND what difference is it in completely burying waste concrete vs having millions of tons of it in slabs for houses, roads, pilings that go below the water table, etc. Just plain stupid to say that it might contaminate the water table as a reason to not bury it. I see no difference in concrete and a large rock as far as pollution is concerned.
Now as for burying stuff in general, I have done some of that but it isn't in my opinion "best practice". If it is possible to recycle it in to crushed for road beds or even to place it for erosion, that is the best utilization of resources. Alternately placing it as structural fill for land reclamation is also a good idea.