Truck size for gravel delivery?

/ Truck size for gravel delivery? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
I need to get several large truck/trailer loads of gravel soon for my driveway/parking area. Could someone point me in the direction as to the sizes of loads for each dump truck or trailer dump? Im sure I NEED THE "CRUSHER" run style of rock. l need to know soon for later this week. If you could give me a loose price so I would have some idea of what I'm doing. I don't mind paying for delivery. Just eliminating the overcharge type individual. I really appreciate any info on this. :thumbsup:
After delivery, I can spread it with the Kubota.

/ Truck size for gravel delivery? #2  
Typical truck/transfer (truck with trailer) is ten yards in the truck and another ten yards in the transfer trailer. Around here the price for twenty yards (one trip) is around $525 for road base. For your purposes, I would see if they carry road base. Standard gravel squishes out to the sides of the road whereas road base has fines mixed in with the larger rocks and creates a well-packed surface after it gets watered down.

/ Truck size for gravel delivery? #3  
Price will vary according to area for many reasons and it doesn't matter the price is else ware. Just call the local suppliers and ask them. It's not like ebay. If you can have it spread by the truck all the better. You will be a while spreading many large loads with a tractor. Years ago I had a some tandem loads ,possibly 15-18 tons ea. spread on my driveway at a depth of about 3"- 4". I think a truckload went about 200 ft. at that rate.
Al

Last edited:
   / Truck size for gravel delivery? #4  
FWIW...I pay about $200 for 8 tons of (granite) crusher run...delivered and spread...

gravel without fines will yield a bit more quantity/yard because it holds less water...

/ Truck size for gravel delivery? #5  
Around here tandem axle dumps run from 13 to 17 tons. I have had as much as 25 tons delivered at once with end dump trailers. You can also get about 25 tons delivered in the belly dump style trailer as well. I am quoting tons because the trucks run over a scale once when empty and again after being loaded. Here the maximum weight allowed on these type trucks is 84,000 lbs. I purchase crushed limestone road base when building driveways. One yard weighs slightly more than one ton in crushed limestone that is. The material, transport and taxes come to $39-$41 per ton.

/ Truck size for gravel delivery? #6  
It’s completely dependent on your location. You’ll have to call around to the trucking companies and get prices. Price of the gravel doesn’t mean much in your case since you’re not picking it up yourself. Around here, it’s running around $25/ton, spread or not. Let them spread what they can, they’ll do a much faster and better job than you’ll be able to with your tractor.

/ Truck size for gravel delivery? #7  
Trucks vary obviously. In WI whenever I had gravel delivered it was always with three axles or quad axles. Here in TN all I can seem to get are tandem axles dump trucks. Crusher run costs around 7$ a ton but shipping is as much as the gravel. Just ask the trucking company what size trucks they use. More than likely for the homeowner it will be one of those three trucks.

/ Truck size for gravel delivery? #8  
Yep, gotta call around in your area.

In my area, an independent trucking company that deals with the quarry, has better rates than calling the quarry and having one of their drives deliver.

So you may want to call around. Find out who hauls alot of stone.

Price is also different between limestone and gravel. And how far from either place you are.

Last year, I was getting what most refer to as "crusher-run" for $15.75/ton delivered (limestone). And the stuff people use as topcoat (around here called #8 for the pea sized stuff and #57 for the marble sized stuff) I was getting for $18/ton delivered. Also limestone.

Got #4 gravel (golf ball sized stuff) for #12/ton delivered.

All this though a LARGE independent trucker in the area that does nothing but haul stone. The limestone comes from ~30-35 miles away and the gravel comes from 10 miles away. And all these loads were normally 24-25 tons. (Tandem truck with 3 cheater axles) and a couple were ~21 ton (smaller truck, only 2 cheater axles)

/ Truck size for gravel delivery?
Thank you to everyone. It's been about 15 years since the last load was delivered and I could not remember about the truck/trailer sizes on tonnage. I want to be able to speak the "language" for the sizing on different loads. I do remember the driver got out and made an adjustment on this giant dump trailer and got back in the cab and spread that crusher run better than a tractor could have. It was perfect. The crusher run stayed pretty good over the years but has finally just about disappeared over time. I don't know where it goes over time...lol

/ Truck size for gravel delivery? #10  
I had a local trucking company deliver 1 load for me of road gravel to start by the house and spread until the end of the driveway. He didn't get the thickness quite right and when he hit almost to the end of the driveway, half a load came out in one spot and there wasn't any way to drive around it..

The driver kind of shrugged his shoulders and said, "Whoops, what can you do."

Not a problem, I could just jump on my big John Deere tractor with front end loader and spread it around except I didn't have one and I didn't know any neighbors at the time that did. So me and ma and our scoop shovel and 10 horse garden tractor went to work We had it sort of smoothed out in a few hours. Needless to say, any gravel in the future was not bought from him.