New Member in FL 4x4 Question

/ New Member in FL 4x4 Question #1  

RandyG

Tractor
satoh beaver 370D
Hi all, I just purchased a satoh beaver 4x4 and I was thinking it had a posi front end, I've already got it stuck just moving dirt in the yard and discovered it must be limited slip as only one tire was spinning at any one time. Is this correct or is there an issue with it? Is this normal? This is my first tractor by the way so I have no idea how they operate, big time learning curve. Thanks:confused:

/ New Member in FL 4x4 Question #2  
Most tractors will have differential lock on the rear axle but not the front steering axle.

How did you get stuck? I avoid muddy areas if I have a choice, you can stick tractors as well as dozers too.

/ New Member in FL 4x4 Question #3  
Just a plain old differential will favor the unloaded tire. Positraction is supposed to prevent that. Don't know how it works doing the job however. Agree that if you have dif lock, it's on the rears and has a visible lever near your right heel. Some you push to latch and push to unlash. That's nice if you can't keep your foot on it due to the circumstances where you have to use it. Others only engage while you have the lever pushed down with your heel. Problem with them is in cornering, if lock is applied, it's like having a solid axle like used to be in chain drive go carts and tricycle ATVs when they first came out. Had to lean in a turn to get one drive tire off the ground. Makes for unsafe, squirrely operation.

/ New Member in FL 4x4 Question #4  
A "posi" or limited slip on your front wheels can be deadly of you do not know what you are doing. If you are spinning both front tires you will have no steering capability at all and if the rears are still gripping you will be sent straight forward with no way to steer. Most manufacturers do not allow a full lock on the front for that very reason.

/ New Member in FL 4x4 Question #5  
Hi all, I just purchased a satoh beaver 4x4 and I was thinking it had a posi front end, I've already got it stuck just moving dirt in the yard and discovered it must be limited slip as only one tire was spinning at any one time. Is this correct or is there an issue with it? Is this normal? This is my first tractor by the way so I have no idea how they operate, big time learning curve. Thanks:confused:

"Posi" (short for positraction) actually is a limited-slip setup. It's simply the name Chevy/GMC used to describe a limited-slip differential. From the sounds of it, your Satoh has an open front differential...one wheel spins, and the other doesn't. That's a common setup in tractors and many FWD/AWD vehicles, although there are plenty of vehicles with a limited-slip front differential (and even some with limited-slip in the transfer case as well).

Most tractors have an open rear differential, but have a manual differential lock that allows you to step/pull/push on a lever which physically connects the left and right sides so they both spin regardless of ground conditions....it's better than a limited-slip setup because it's a no-slip setup. You can simulate a limited-slip rear differential by using the brake for whichever tire is slipping. You drag the brake for the spinning tire, and it sends power to the other wheel.

/ New Member in FL 4x4 Question #6  
A "posi" or limited slip on your front wheels can be deadly of you do not know what you are doing. If you are spinning both front tires you will have no steering capability at all and if the rears are still gripping you will be sent straight forward with no way to steer. Most manufacturers do not allow a full lock on the front for that very reason.

You still have steering capability with limited-slip on the front wheels because it will allow the front wheels to be at slightly different speeds....limited-slip isn't no-slip. If you have a full locker on the front differential you have no-slip, and almost no steering capability, but there still is a little bit...a few degrees to either side at least.

/ New Member in FL 4x4 Question #7  

In addition to the diff locking issue, another related thing for newbies to understand is that the no-suspension axles of a tractor don't handle undulating terrain well, certainly not anything like an ATV or 4x4 vehicle. For example, even attempting to cross a mild ditch at the wrong angle can leave two wheels spinning in the air. If the ground is a bit sloppy also, you're stuck. With experience, you learn to read the surface you'll be working on and adapt how to cross it. There have been many times some impromptu cut or fill work was needed at my place before we could get through.

/ New Member in FL 4x4 Question
Thanks guys, actually, I was in the exact situation Grandad4 described. My left rear tire dug down to the point my right wheel was off the ground and I was done, those two opposite wheels were the only two spinning, the other two tires, with good footing were not. The area I'm working in is uneven to boot. I don't think I have the posi option on my rear though. I'll just have to be more careful where I go with this thing.

/ New Member in FL 4x4 Question #9  
Most tractor can spin both back wheels and one front wheel. If your tractor lacks a diff lock you can use the split brakes to make the other wheel turn. My B7100 can spin all 4 wheels at the same time, but not many 4x4 vehicles/ tractors can do that.

/ New Member in FL 4x4 Question #10  
Most tractor can spin both back wheels and one front wheel. If your tractor lacks a diff lock you can use the split brakes to make the other wheel turn. My B7100 can spin all 4 wheels at the same time, but not many 4x4 vehicles/ tractors can do that.

Unfortunately a 3038e does not have split brakes.