LS 5030C questions

/ LS 5030C questions #1  

Macwain

Tractor
LS 5030C
Hello! New member and just purchased a slightly used (140 hours) LS5030C tractor and have a couple of questions. First, the PTO will not engage completely when first starting in colder weather. I haven't had a chance to try in above freezing weather as it is winter here in Manitoba. It tries to kick in but then stops. After 5 or 10 minutes of running and Turning off/on it kicks in and works fine. I have tried the auto/manual switch in both positions. Anyone had similar problems or is this normal? Next question is about the air filter. My tractor has only one filter element but I see in adds that there is an inner and outer element. My book only shows one element in the picture but they call it the first element. Should it have 2 or do some ( mine is 2010) only use one element. Original owner tells me he never had the filter out. Thanks, Paul

/ LS 5030C questions #2  
If you are getting the engine running and then trying to get the pto to work then you are probably not following warm up directions from the manufacturer.
This chart is for Kubota but most modern tractors with hydraulically operated pto clutches and shuttle shift would be similar.
tF6vYBo.jpg

Try giving it this warm up time and then tell us if the problem is still present.
It gets cold in Winnipeg and even if you have a block heater to get the engine started it does nothing for the hydraulics.
Dave M7040

/ LS 5030C questions #3  
As mentioned, the tractor should be warmed up before engaging the PTO. You should be able to engage the PTO in cold weather to aid in circulating the hydraulic filter to warm it up quicker but I'd only do that if there is no implement attached / no load.
The chart attached does show an inner and outer air filter for your 5030.

Attachments

• LS Filter Chart 11-03-2014.pdf
    72.1 KB · Views: 99
   / LS 5030C questions
If you are getting the engine running and then trying to get the pto to work then you are probably not following warm up directions from the manufacturer.
This chart is for Kubota but most modern tractors with hydraulically operated pto clutches and shuttle shift would be similar.
tF6vYBo.jpg

Try giving it this warm up time and then tell us if the problem is still present.
It gets cold in Winnipeg and even if you have a block heater to get the engine started it does nothing for the hydraulics.
Dave M7040

Thanks Dave. I will let it warm up more and should be ok. Paul

/ LS 5030C questions
Thanks George. After checking again I found the inner filter was in fact stuck inside the outer. Paul

/ LS 5030C questions #6  
As to the PTO issue, my U5030 does the same thing. In warm weather it is not a problem, but cold days/seasons it takes a while to work. When I first bought the tractor I thought there was a major problem and had them come out to look at it and attempt a fix. They changed out a small filter in there, but the issue remains. I think it's just a design flaw.
Going through 3 or 4 cycles of turning it on, it goes off, turning it back on, etc., it will stay going.
-9F this AM so I'm not going out to even try it.

/ LS 5030C questions
Even after warm up PTO will not stay engaged and transmission hyd pressure light comes on. Alison the PTO disconnect when switch is in auto when you raise the 3 point quit working. After about 1/2 hour of trying the PTO will work ok. Looked at hyd diagram and looks like the hyd pressure for the PTO switch comes from the power steering pump. Power steering works ok. Go figure. Paul

/ LS 5030C questions #8  
Hello! New member and just purchased a slightly used (140 hours) LS5030C tractor and have a couple of questions. First, the PTO will not engage completely when first starting in colder weather. I haven't had a chance to try in above freezing weather as it is winter here in Manitoba. It tries to kick in but then stops. After 5 or 10 minutes of running and Turning off/on it kicks in and works fine. I have tried the auto/manual switch in both positions. Anyone had similar problems or is this normal? Next question is about the air filter. My tractor has only one filter element but I see in adds that there is an inner and outer element. My book only shows one element in the picture but they call it the first element. Should it have 2 or do some ( mine is 2010) only use one element. Original owner tells me he never had the filter out. Thanks, Paul

Could it be a mechanical linkage problem? Can't tell you how many different cars, trucks and other equipment I've had over the years that had some cable control that got sticky in cold weather. Equipment that sat out in the weather was particularly prone to such problems, but even cars that sat in heated garages could get glitchy in winter. Cleaning and lubing such linkages is about the only solution.

/ LS 5030C questions
As to the PTO issue, my U5030 does the same thing. In warm weather it is not a problem, but cold days/seasons it takes a while to work. When I first bought the tractor I thought there was a major problem and had them come out to look at it and attempt a fix. They changed out a small filter in there, but the issue remains. I think it's just a design flaw.
Going through 3 or 4 cycles of turning it on, it goes off, turning it back on, etc., it will stay going.
-9F this AM so I'm not going out to even try it.

Thanks for the reply Pat. Good to know mine is not the only one doing it. You would think the company would be aware of that flaw and come up with a fix. Seems it's not getting enough oil pressure to the PTO clutch when it is cold. Don't like warming up for 1/2 hour before blowing snow. Paul