Traction Differential lock

/ Differential lock #1  

Toyboy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230D
Boy, those must be pretty flimsy. I rarely use mine on my BX2230 but occasionally when blowing snow I'll engage it. Well the last couple times I went to use it I noticed it wouldn't "hook up" and I just figured it was because of the big snow boots I was wearing and not being able to push it down far enough.
Well today I was not wearing them and tried to engage it several times but no luck. WTF??? it worked before!!
When I was done with snow I tried to engage it several times from a dead start to very slowly moving. No can do. I guess it's toast and I'm just not going to bother with it any more...

/ Differential lock #2  
Not good. If the pin has broken off, it could get into gears somewhere and cause other bigger problems. Good luck!

/ Differential lock #3  
I've found the Kubota diff. locks to be pretty cheesy too, and I never abused mine either...

The one on my B let go LONG ago and all the parts were in the bottom of the tranny, I found them when I pulled the plug to change the tranny oil. (gear drive)

I fished the pieces of metal out with my fingers, and have just lived without the diff. lock since...

SR

/ Differential lock #4  
I use mine a lot, and I really do mean a lot, on my L3010. Have had no trouble heading towards 2000 hrs. Maybe it is pure luck but you wouldn't think so. Could be the older L's were beefier ???

gg

/ Differential lock #5  
I have a JD 4300HST, bought new. I used to have a pair of helpers, one of which would depress the axle lock WHILE ONE WHEEL was slipping, and wait for the lock to click in. din't take many months before it would not lock up but by then both helpers had left....ten years later I still do not have a lock that works. The tractor has about 6000 hours on it ....

/ Differential lock #6  
I use mine a lot, and I really do mean a lot, on my L3010. Have had no trouble heading towards 2000 hrs. Maybe it is pure luck but you wouldn't think so. Could be the older L's were beefier ???

gg

My "B" IS older!

SR

/ Differential lock #7  
IIRC, the diff lock is to be engaged carefully when the tractor is nearly stopped, and not used when making a turn...IIRC. Mine (B2620) has been used occasionally in the past 400+ hours, and quite a number of times with 300+ hrs on a BX 2660 model. That's been my experience.

/ Differential lock #8  
I use mine rarely and carefully because of these failure reports. I have never broken one in all the tractors I have owned. BUT the thing I do the most is split braking. It works just as well, and is more robust mechanically. If one wheel is spinning just apply some brake to that wheel and it will put pressure on the opposite wheel to move forward thru the differential action of the differential.

/ Differential lock #9  
As a fellow BX2230 owner, I feel your pain. Urge you to get it fixed soon, since the broken pieces inside the tranny could cause further damage to the transmission.

The locking gears themselves seem to be robust enough, but the diff lock engagement mechanism just doesn't stand up to being engaged while the wheels are still turning. That's kind of like putting your vehicle in "Park" while you're still rolling at 10 mph... things start breaking inside the tranny. Unfortunately, it's when you can't move that you usually think of using the diff lock, so it's all too easy to do. Winter is especially bad because you're wearing boots that can slip off the little diff-lock pedal and you're busy attending to a lot of other things at the same time.

Considering how traction-limited most compact tractors are, improving the diff lock setup would be a step forward for a lot of owners, but this basic design has been used on most sizes and brands of tractors for a long time because something better would undoubtedly add cost.

/ Differential lock #10  
Ditto what Grandad4 said....especially in the winter conditions.