Advantages to buying a used tractor.

/ Advantages to buying a used tractor. #1  

SARG

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH T1030- NH T1530 - 49G Brockway
I never really gave it much thought until today but there are advantages to getting a used machine other than the discounted price. Last year I purchased a T1530 New Holland and the original owner(s) spent some extra dollars.

The FEL hooks were already welded on .... tires were already loaded .... the front R4s had been replaced with super aggressive loader tires ( same diameter ) ..... the engine heater was already installed and the machine already has the 3 pt. sliding stabilizers installed.

Advantages I hadn't even considered.

A question I do have is .......... are the sliding stabilizers an optional item that can be purchased because I'd sure like to have them on the smaller tractor. They are much better than the turnbuckle types.

Attachments

• Tractors for snow 007.jpg
    Tractors for snow 007.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 286
   / Advantages to buying a used tractor. #2  
I bought mine with 59.6 hours on it. Saved about $6K off "brand new". Came with Wheel weights, SSQA, an industrial bucket (not just a heavy duty farm one, but a real skid steer bucket), downward exhaust pipe, block heater, and the horn.

I wouldn't buy a new truck, so why would I buy a new tractor? Let someone else eat that initial depreciation.

/ Advantages to buying a used tractor. #3  
I never really gave it much thought until today but there are advantages to getting a used machine other than the discounted price. Last year I purchased a T1530 New Holland and the original owner(s) spent some extra dollars.

The FEL hooks were already welded on .... tires were already loaded .... the front R4s had been replaced with super aggressive loader tires ( same diameter ) ..... the engine heater was already installed and the machine already has the 3 pt. sliding stabilizers installed.

Advantages I hadn't even considered.

A question I do have is .......... are the sliding stabilizers an optional item that can be purchased because I'd sure like to have them on the smaller tractor. They are much better than the turnbuckle types.

You also buy someome elses problems that are not obvious until you get it home and put it to work. There are great advantages of buying something that has been abused and improperly maintained. What you may have saved may cost you more to restore it to useable condition. Remember the old saying "penny wise and dollar foolish. Got burned myself. Too many crooks out there flipping junk off e-bay and craigs list. I don't trust any of it. Its gotten to a point you have to make the transaction in a public place or police station parking lot for the fear of getting robbed.

/ Advantages to buying a used tractor. #4  
The best way to corral the 3 pt hitch arms is to install a Quick attatch on them, it works very well once you setup the grab collars on your implements. Just flip up the levers, back in and pick up your box blade or disk, then flip down the lock arms. Woods makes wonderful quick attatch 3 pt hitch frames!

/ Advantages to buying a used tractor. #5  
Quick hitch doesn't work on things like stump grinders and skidding winches. Which happen to be the two most used implements I have.

/ Advantages to buying a used tractor. #6  
I think that selling my '87 B9200 would involve pulling off some of the mods such as rear hydraulics. Chances are the buyer would not appreciate the the $ and time.

/ Advantages to buying a used tractor. #7  
Our used L3400 had several very useful (stuff I wanted, all good!) installed by its first owner: telescoping stabilizer arms, rear remote hydraulics, a new Kubota loader (it had been used with a rear mower, no loader) with SSQA loader bucket adaptor, chain hooks... done! The fact he'd kept it indoors, had all the manuals and well maintained made it a tractor I didn't have to think about for long.

/ Advantages to buying a used tractor. #8  
Quick hitch doesn't work on things like stump grinders and skidding winches. Which happen to be the two most used implements I have.

Pat's Easy Change would.

/ Advantages to buying a used tractor. #9  
I bought my SCUT used and has been a great investment. It came with FEL, rear blade, MMM and 5ft. tiller. It had 1170hrs on it and I spent about $200 on changing fluids, a couple of seals and hoses. Paid a third of what it would have cost new. Five years later still going strong year round.

I do not look forward to buying the new computerized tractors.

/ Advantages to buying a used tractor. #10  
Operators of used equipment have the privilege of paying to repair or replace parts worn out, lost or broken by the previous owner.

Last edited: